Sign in to follow this  

Which bike for my buddy?

WEll my friend is looking to get a trail bike for racing me and my buddy on his quad. He has a 400ex and i have a kdx220. I have many mods on my bike and he also has many mods. He is 5'5'' and 130 pounds. He wants to be able to race with us. It is single track and we do time trials. It has alot of straights and hills and a small section of mud. He is looking at mx bikes to ride with us. WE found a 2001 yz250 for $1850 and a 2000 rm250 for $1400 but that bike needs a new rear tire and some small things. My guess about $200 in parts. So figure $1600 for this bike in really nice shape. The rm has fmf setup new top end, new fork seals, needs nitro in rear shock and needs rear tire. Also has Tag triple clamps. The suspension has been setup for mx so he would need a revavle. As far as which bike being more trail friendly which is a better more reliable bike? Also should he even be looking at 250's or 125's? Thanks By the way is wants to spend no more than $1500 for the initial bike cost.

1850 for an 01 yz250?!?! thats crazy it must be in absolutly perfect condition and never raced with a recent engine rebuild, dont even touch that bike unless it has all that and some mods, i would get a 125, its a nice bike and it should hang with your 220 and beat the quad hands down, it may be a little tall for a begginer but it is a good weight for him, probably around 190 or 200 pounds,i think he would love a 125 bike.

They're both track bikes, but there's no one I know that uses there bike just for track. Either bike could be a good trail bike if you set it up to have more low end. If it's his first bike, you might want to go with a 125 though, but have him try both prior to buying one and then he can probably tell which he is most comfortable on.

well he rode my kdx and decided he wanted a 125, so for $1500 could he get a nice 125? Any idea on the year that he could get for that much? IS there any 125 in specific that is better for woods riding??

well he rode my kdx and decided he wanted a 125, so for $1500 could he get a nice 125? Any idea on the year that he could get for that much? IS there any 125 in specific that is better for woods riding??

Whats his favorite color?

:thumbsup:

he could get a 1999-2002 125 in exelent condition for about 1500, no 125 i have ever rode really makes impressive low end, but my dads rm125 is a really nice trail bike but can still do some serious mx.

we found a 2003 yz250 for $2500, the guy said it is in excellent shape, he said he rode it about 10 times a year with his son but is selling it because he is getting old. He said the only thing wrong is a dent in the pipe. It is bone stock but im not sure if it is worth $2500. Would this be a good woods bike or was there anything bad with the 2003 yz's?