Sign in to follow this  

'06 TE250 questions

I'm thinking of replacing my trusty DR-Z400S with a TE250. I haven't been able to find out much about the bike. Seems everyone went for the bigger cc ones. I have ridden a friend's '04 a little and was impressed. I'm not looking for a dual sport, just a dirt bike with a plate. I'm an over 40 trail rider, 5'9" and 200.

Is it easy to de-smog these? What are the must-do carb/exhaust mods? I want to keep it relatively quiet.

Skid plates and other protection, what is needed/best?

Any reliability issues with the '06?

What do you think would be a good price?

Thanks,

May I make another 250 suggestion, the KLX250S. I have been lurking on their forum over at: http://www.kawasakiforums.com/ and have read a lot of positive things about this bike. I want one myself. You can't beat 260 lbs for a truly dual sport bike.

Slip, I thought of that but it's too close to the DRZ. I'm looking for pretty hard core off road but with a plate. Trucked to riding area, pavement only to connect trails. 232 lbs sounds even better than 260 :thumbsup:

Is it easy to de-smog these? What are the must-do carb/exhaust mods? I want to keep it relatively quiet.

Thanks,

Very easy to desmog. 30 mins tops. Just a few bolts and unplug the carb vents. A good dealer will do it for you. I did mine, piece of cake.

There are NO "must-do" mods. I haven't seen anyone here that has anything other than the stock exhaust. The bikes rip straight from factory. Up Tite skid plate is the best. No reliability issues that I know of.

MSRP would be a good price out the door. As long as you're not in California.

It does weight alittle more than the 232lbs you've read, but much less than a DRZ. Probably right around 255lbs. Do a search in this forum, the info is out there.

This would be an excellent bike for what you describe. Really good performer and very reliable. It will flat blow the side panels off that KLX250S and is a much more capable bike. I really think you would be hard pressed to beat that choice unless you got the 450 which to me is a little more a handful but more flexible in what you can do with it.

The bad? The bike is tall so make sure it fits you. the forks could use some work but are usable for a lot of guys as is.

I'm thinking of replacing my trusty DR-Z400S with a TE250. I haven't been able to find out much about the bike. Seems everyone went for the bigger cc ones. I have ridden a friend's '04 a little and was impressed. I'm not looking for a dual sport, just a dirt bike with a plate. I'm an over 40 trail rider, 5'9" and 200.

Thanks,

The reliability record on the 05 and newer TEs seems to be very good. Mine has been flawless in 1,000 miles of hard trail riding.

Probably the only shortcoming of the TEs (any size) versus your DRZ is the Husky's ability to cruise at freeway speeds. The close ratio tranny is designed for high performance on the trail. The short stroke motors are very strong. I've never ridden the 250, but don't recall any reports about the bikes being underpowered. Good luck.

R

Thanks all for the replies. Ride, I sat on one Saturday and you ain't kiddin' about "tall". I'm not one who has to flat-foot a bike, but I'll have to try it some more to see if I could live with it. I have a bad right shoulder and back which makes it worse. I was surprised how stiff the springs felt even with my fat butt on it. I thought it would sag more. The '04 I rode was tall but sqatted more. My buddy is much lighter than me so he obviously had sag set for him.

I was hoping I might be able to find an '06 at a big discount (seems everyone wants the 450 and 510) but that doesn't seem likely.

arod2000, that's me on advrider asking about these, my handle there is tbirdsp.

I was in the same boat as you. I am fortyish, 220 lbs and previously had a DRZ and WR250. I was very undecided about which way to go - more street or more dirt and ended up with an 04 DRZ. While these are great bikes, they are simply too heavy for any lenght of singletrack.

I was waiting to get a pick-up truck to be able to haul without a trailer (I was going to get another WR) when a deal an 06 TE250 came up. I traded the DRZ in and was pretty happy until my first real ride on it. The tranny has very short gears and you get to 6th pretty quick. Coupled with that was the seemingly stiff suspension and I was a little dismayed. :applause: However, on my last ride I had a chance to really use the bike and I had a blast. The suspension is softening up and the gears are great in the woods. Even top end is OK. I have the full DS model and will be keeping this one for quite a while. :applause:

The build quality and components are top notch. The bike really rips compared to the WR and the DRZ :thumbsup: , particularly the bottem end. I am sure the suspension will get even better and I haven't even adjusted the sag yet. :ride: I was going to get a 450 but I really like the handling of a smaller bike and I don't think I need more power to get in trouble. :applause:

The last ride I was on I saw no less than 10 Husky's. The same ride last year I saw maybe one (way too much orange out there). I love the fact that I have a Husky that is so well put together. Get the JD jet kit, some rad and hand guards and go.

Good luck on your search.

This bike flat rips everywhere! It has road short comings as mentioned but according to your described needs this would fit nicely! It can always be geared up to fit more pavement pounding but the stock setup is awesome offroad :thumbsup:

Dealer pulled off the smog crap and carb stop, installed JD jet kit. I cut out the internal baffle (search exhaust mods for details) for low end gain. Other than that it's all bolt on protection stuff.

Funny someone mentioned a KLX250s. I'm heading out for a 68 mile loop tonight with a guy on a brand new KLX250s. That thing is quite! It's so plugged up I could not stick my pinky in the tail pipe. Looks good for what it is though.

I like my TE250 a lot. Never rode a DRZ but the specs on the transmissions are almost identical as far as how wide they are so I am not sure where the transmission comments are coming from. The TE250 will go 80+mph if you want it to with stock gearing without hitting the rev limiter but since the rev limiter is set to 12.5K I would not want to run it there or anywhere close. TE250 is 56 lbs curb weight less than the drz. I have no clue what the curb weight is of the KLX250s since I have yet to see that published or even posted on TT. The seat height will change a lot in the first few hundred miles - it will sit lower, at least an inch maybe 2. I slid the fork tubes up a little to also lower it. And during that time the suspension gets less stiff.

Must do mods? My dealer said JD is really needed on the TE250 so he installed it for me before picking it up. Oh and the smog stuff - closed circuit vent system (non-vent) system does not work at all once the bike is tipped a little bit (fuel fills the vent lines and stays there) so some people take that stuff off - seems easy to do to me.

REALLY EASY TO WORK ON compared to other bikes.

edit - really quiet bike but some have modified the exhaust cap for more low end which results in a little more sound at mostly the lower rpms here is a link. When reading my comments in that thread.... The SPL does double every 6dB, but to the human ear an increase of 10 dB seems 2x as loud, not 6dB as I stated in that thread. Still very legal and quiet even with that mod esp compared to some other bikes.

Mike:

DO IT DO IT DO IT :thumbsup:

My head should be done tomorrow, you can take mine for a spin if you want (again)....

There is a little off-idle bog on mine, i need to tweak the carb and accelerator pump....but in reality it's not much of a problem cause i'm not down in that range of the powerband very often :ride:

Last time I was out at the trails I started jumping over the ATV berms with it, even on the flat landings I wasn't bottoming out. Pretty fun times :applause:

I had a DRZ E for 4 years and like it a lot , got a 2006 TE250 and now thats another class altogether.. Dont hesitate, your riding will improve and you´ll have more fun, especially in tight single track or rocky trails. I found it needs a JD kit as its set up way too lean from stock, and changed the fork oil to a lighter weight and reduced the oil level from 80mm to 120mm- they are much better after that. Rerouted 2 of the carb vents lines up under the seat.

Thats it really, the optional things I got on it are Flatland rad guards and Rooster Performance skid plate.

The height is just fine - I am 5ft 8". Also an excellent design makes it a pleasure to work on. Oh yes and its way lighter than the DRZ and has good power.

All the best

Jerry

Picked up my new '06 TE250 yesterday. :thumbsup: Sold the DRZ to a buddy who is going to supermoto it.

I did several searches and couldn't find the exact procedure to remove all the emissions stuff. Is it out there somewhere?

Sorry for the noob questions. :ride:

Congratulations :ride:

I ride a DRZ400 and will be very interested in your comparo-ride report :applause:

Oh, and some pics too :thumbsup:

Congratulations :ride:

I ride a DRZ400 and will be very interested in your comparo-ride report :applause:

Oh, and some pics too :thumbsup:

i did this exact write-up this past december.....my DRZ400s was dirt and supermoto double-duty..... never once have i regretted selling it.

Matt, let me know when you do some riding - somewhere that's not a total quagmire though. :thumbsup:

Removing the smog stuff is easy. I think they are designed to be knocked off. Any way all you have to do is remove the canisters and extra vent lines and plug the crank case vent. To do this you can use a leak plug or just leave short piece of the vent line on, fold it and zip tie it. Run the vent lines from the carb between the engine and the swing arm.