Sign in to follow this  

helmet stickers can kill?

i was at the track the other day, and this guy comes up to me and says that having stickers on your helmet damages the membrane on the helmet, now i have a lot of decals on my helmet and it kinda had me worried.

anyone ever herd of this or is this guy talking out of his ass?

i have alot of stickers on my helmet and have had some serious crashes and my helmet holds up fine i think he is talking out his ass

The glue can break up the shell. He is right.

Mines over here in Oz, strictly no hard hats with stickers on them, for that reason.

The glue can break up the shell. He is right.

Mines over here in Oz, strictly no hard hats with stickers on them, for that reason.

I never would have thought it would make any difference...but I guess I'm not putting stickers or decals on my helmet anymore! :thumbsup:

This is true, but most of the concern about your helmet integrity being compromised started when people were doing their own or having custom paint done on their helmets. :thumbsup:

They tell us the same thing at work. No stickers(or paint) on the hardhats as the adhesives breakdown the plastic and cause it to fail. :thumbsup:

Then a week later, they make us put stickers on our helmets to designate who is who for a corporate "time study"

:applause::applause::ride::applause::applause:

oh snap, umm ok, soooooo im basicly screwd then huh? i have a real lot of stickers, you cant even se the origional color of the helmet,

oh snap, umm ok, soooooo im basicly screwd then huh? i have a real lot of stickers, you cant even se the origional color of the helmet,

I can't imagine it does alot to the helmet, but next crash you have, tell us how it worked out! :thumbsup::ride:

As far as I know, a sticker is no worse for a MX or streetbike helmet than the dust that blows in the wind!

The real reason people trip out about stickers on helmets, is they can hide previous crash damage / drops/ bad scuffs etc.... so making an unsafe helmet look safe.

But if your helmet was perfect when you put the stickers on, dont worry you are fine.

i was at the track the other day, and this guy comes up to me and says that having stickers on your helmet damages the membrane on the helmet, now i have a lot of decals on my helmet and it kinda had me worried.

anyone ever herd of this or is this guy talking out of his ass?

I guess several million harley riders CAN be wrong :thumbsup: *L*

Like the Skid lids are going to do much anyways.

By the way, if you want to see a sped up example of how some products destroy helmets, spray some bug spray or spraypaint on a typical hardhat, almost melts it right away. The stickers do it over an extended period of time. Keep in mind that one or 2 smallish stickers won't do much, but completely covering it can do some harm

Don't the paint jobs on helmets have a clear coat over them? How would sticker glue get thru the clear to effect anything?

I guess with enough time and enough stickers the glue might bleed thru the clear. But when you put a sticker on a car or motorcycle paint job you can always take the sticker off clean it up and nothing will show. If glue was bleeding thru the clear it would effect the paint under it.

Doesn't make sense to me I wouldnt be afraid of a sticker on my lids.

Sticker glue does absolutely nothing to your helmet's shell...in fact, most of the mid to lower priced helmets graphics are really just one big strategically placed sticker, no joke..and weak sticker glue isnt going to eat through the clear coat on a custom painted lid either. Besides, all of the protection that a helmet has is in the compressed styrofoam looking stuff on the inside that absorbs all the shock of a hit to the head.

<snip>

Besides, all of the protection that a helmet has is in the compressed styrofoam looking stuff on the inside that absorbs all the shock of a hit to the head.

The hard shell spreads the force of the impact, and resists penetration.

D

A sticker isn't going to hurt it, and neither is a spray-can paint job.

SOME two-part catalyzed paints can damage certain materials... which paints cause damage depends on whether the lid is plastic, or composite, and if composite, whether it is formed with epoxy or polyester resin.

if stickers would ruin a helmet you think the pros would have sponser stickers on there helmets?

i think not.

yes if stickers ruined helmets pros would still use them, they get new helmets all the time

Hard hats are bare material with no protective coatings usually made of some sort of plastic so paint or stickers could damage them. Motorcycle helmet shells are made of fiberglass with several layers of primers & paint. All the graphics on that really cool looking helmet are stickers. The manufacturer of the helmet would not put them on there if they would harm the shell. So go ahead & put that RIDER MAY BAIL AT ANY TIME sticker on your helmet. :thumbsup: