My DRZ-S is running like crap....

I left it in the garage for a few weeks, and now it's running like crap.

The bike will only run on full choke. When I give it gas it sputters and pops, then acts like it's fuel starved.

I have removed the fuel line, completely drained the tank, and put fresh fuel in.

Tried the petcock on PRI and ON, no different.

The bike is a stock S with a Clark tank. 700 miles young. No other changes.

Any tips on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Thanks Eddie, I pulled all the jets and blew them out wiht compressed air. Now she runs.

The long, thin jet with the baffle at the end (is this the pilot?) had a small grain of sand or something stuck in it, and I was able to poke it out with a sewing needle.

Of course, I had to drill out the 4mm screws in the bottom of the floatbowl to get them out ? , replaced them with hex heads for next time..........

what is the best way to get at the carb on a 02 offroad model? I took mine out last night and had to remove the rear half of the pipe to get the little plasic box on the rh side out of the way. It was not rode very much and was all varnished up. I took it appart to clean out the inlet needle as it was leaking past and out the over flow line. I now put it together and it is stll leaking out the over flow. I would like to get into the bottom of the carb again without removing it. Is that possible? Also what is the float setting supposed to be at?

what is the best way to get at the carb on a 02 offroad model?

I'm not sure about the E model, but on my '03 S it was easy to remove the carb from the rider's left.

Remove tank, left side number plate, undo all hoseclamps on the carb runner tubes, and then I pinched the fat hose that runs from the airfilter to the carb. She came right out. No more than 10 minutes. I had the whole thing out. cleaned, and back in in an hour.

what is the best way to get at the carb on a 02 offroad model? I took mine out last night and had to remove the rear half of the pipe to get the little plasic box on the rh side out of the way. It was not rode very much and was all varnished up. I took it appart to clean out the inlet needle as it was leaking past and out the over flow line. I now put it together and it is stll leaking out the over flow. I would like to get into the bottom of the carb again without removing it. Is that possible? Also what is the float setting supposed to be at?

You can get to the bottom of the fcr without removal, at least you can to replace the main jet. I personally still remove it because it doesn't take me very long and I don't trust myself working upside down on a carb. To remove it doesn't require much after you do it a couple of times. I think the boot just needs to soften up a bit. It goes out the left side and besides the seat and tank I don't think I take off anything else.

if you run Yamaha Ringfree it will clean the bike from tank to tailpipe. then change the oil.

It will take care of a grain of sand???? The only way to make sure your carb is actually clean is to take it apart and visually inspect and clean it.

It will take care of a grain of sand???? The only way to make sure your carb is actually clean is to take it apart and visually inspect and clean it.

I had the same problem. Had to take the carb apart. Guess it's pretty common in the DRZ.

I'm not sure about the E model, but on my '03 S it was easy to remove the carb from the rider's left.

Remove tank, left side number plate, undo all hoseclamps on the carb runner tubes, and then I pinched the fat hose that runs from the airfilter to the carb. She came right out. No more than 10 minutes. I had the whole thing out. cleaned, and back in in an hour.

Is there a black box in the way on a on-road model? The black box is on the rh side of the carb on the off-road model.