Sign in to follow this  

Racing Small Bore 4 Stroke

My son is outgrowing his KLX 110. Great bike but it still is just a trail bike. I have a WR250F, it is the perfect blend of trail manners and performance and would love something similar for my son. Does anyone make a small 4 stroke to match the performance of an 85 cc 2 stroke? Most of what I see is low tech crappy trail only machines.

I might have to get him the two stroke.

There arent any out, but the BBR super primo expensive big bore xr50 engined bikes make as much if not more power than a healthy 80. I bet factory high performance mini class bikes are on the horizon.

Just get him a 2 stroke of any Japanese brand. They are a blast, they are dirt cheap, and they run forever. If you are worried about the hit, put a flywheel weight on it (about $90). Dirt Rider had an article last year about how to turn an 85 KTM SX into a trail machine (flywheel weight, lights, etc). You could use that as a model, but I have found the Japan brands to be far more reliable than the little KTMs.

My son is outgrowing his KLX 110. Great bike but it still is just a trail bike. I have a WR250F, it is the perfect blend of trail manners and performance and would love something similar for my son. Does anyone make a small 4 stroke to match the performance of an 85 cc 2 stroke? Most of what I see is low tech crappy trail only machines.

I might have to get him the two stroke.

As for now, the two smokers have the good suspension and the hit you are looking for. Maybe in 08 they will have some hard hitting little thumpers.