Sign in to follow this  

01 cr 250 leaking coolant around head bolts

My buddy has replaced the head, head gaskets (twice), the nuts holding the head on, etc. and it once again is leaking up and around the head bolts. He was told this weekend that this is normal but he doesnt think so and wants to find the cause. any suggestions?

THe head studs can come loose or bend fairly easily. The gaskets can be a pain to get sealed as well if you don't torque the head down evenly. I'd get a Honda gasket, pull the head, locktite the head studs, make sure everything is very clean (check to see if coolant got in thr chamber), put the gasket on then slowly torque the head down in a criss cross pattern.

^^ what he said. and go find whoever said it was normal and slap them. repeatedly. :thumbsup:

^^ what he said. and go find whoever said it was normal and slap them. repeatedly. :thumbsup:

preferably until they shart themselves...

Can't recall off the top of my head (hehehe) on the 250, but on the 125 the studs have a "shoulder" to them. If they are not seated proerly...either not installed fully or they have been pulled up by over-tightening them, then the head will not seat properly regardless of how tight or evenly you torque the head down and will leak up around which ever stud(s) are the culprit. You basically are tightening the head down on the stud instead of teh cylinder.

lap it/resurface it for a couple of bucks! Also use copperseal on the hd gasket. prolly warped alittle bit