Sign in to follow this  

83 xr200r coil problem.

I have an 83 xr200r. I checked the resistance on the ignition coil per the manual and found it to be bad. Does anyone know if that year xr is 12 volt or 6 volt. I want to try one of the universal coils from jcwhitney and they have a 6 volt and a 12 volt version. for 19 bucks that is alot cheaper than the $50-$100 I was finding online. Thanks guys for any help on this!

Hey pookie you have been helping on another forum with a problem I posted about on there and here. I don't have the answer to your question but may be able to help you find it. Look a the light bulb, it will tell you if it is 12 or 6 volt by either the part number or it will be marked 12 or 6 v on it. ALso it shouol state somewhere in the manual. I havn't bought the manual yet or I would look it up for you.

cool thanks! I will check. My manual doesn't say it is a general clymer for about 4 different bikes. Let me know if you still need the compression numbers if you have a compression tester.

:thinking:The lighting coil and ign coil are separate systems, and also AC voltage. I have a hunch the JCW coils may be for DC voltage on batt ign systems where they are listed 6 and 12 volt.. While the lighting system is 6 volt (AC) Honda doesn't list voltage for the ign. Not sure how this will work out for you. Any electrical engineers out there that can shed some light on this............................???

Old School Al

Is an AC system on the 83 (no voltage regulator) just CDI, coil, stator and spark pulser. Stator output is 6.5 volt. I don't have the headlight (6 volt 25 watt) or tailight (6 volt) hooked in. Used a multimeter and the manual to check the old coil and it would not even register on the second test(open circuit) per the manual that is bad. It's worth a shot to try as long as the cdi is still good. I like trying stuff that is a whole lot cheaper that might work. I have less than $300 in the whole buildup including the cost of the bike. So I am in no hurry.

both outputs from the stator showed 6.5 volts. Hopefully it will be good to go, but No worries I still have my 88 FZ750 to ride around on. I put 200 miles on it sunday morning before 10am.

coil was ordered but not received yet. Still waiting. they said 7-10 days. Just wanted to update. Did fix a leaking float bowl screw on the carb yesterday. So getting closer.

coil was ordered and spark was achieved. No compression though so no running. taking it to the dealer.