Small Racing 4 stokes for pre teen

Thanks for the input guys. That's kinda what I thought too, but this kid is already 5' 3" 112 lbs. He can't wait till 2008 and I love him dearly but I ain't spending 10 large on a bike he will outgrow like a pair of shoes.

Having him on a two stroke for a while will teach about the history of dirt bikes.

So does KTM, they have 140 and I believe it will be late 07. Someone posted a cataloge in the KTM section and it was listed for 07. I'll try and look up the thread.

Please do, I think that if the AMA will sanction these bikes into the 85cc class they will be everywhere. I think that this step is inevitable and good for our sport. ? . In another 3 yrs or so I will put my son on one.

Please do, I think that if the AMA will sanction these bikes into the 85cc class they will be everywhere. I think that this step is inevitable and good for our sport.

good for our sport? how? by quadrupling the cost of racing? i predict that many families will not be able to afford to race time-bombs, oops, i mean 4-strokes.

yea..not good for the sport at all. What happens when the 85 2stroke is eventually phased out and all thats left is the 150f....more expensive, harder maintenance, WAY more bikes blown up and higher repair fees. How is anyone at the grassroots level gonna be able to afford that? The 85 2stroke is a great bike because they are fast(and yes, they do too hit hard.If you ride them correctly and keep them in the meat of the powerband then they hit harder and quicker than a big bike imo...much harder to ride fast), easy to work on, dependable, and when they do blow up they are cheap to fix. The 150 will mean that dad spends twice the time working on it than he already does, spends twice the money, and the kid gets to ride it half of what he does on a 2stroke 85. Not to mention 2 stroke minis are where you learn good cornering technique, clutch and throttle control, etc.

^^ True that. Not everyone has rich parents to fund their racing 'careers'. Those parents who support their children racing will probably be hurting if the 85's are phased out. It seems like the smaller bore the engine, the less reliable it is.

So does KTM, they have 140 and I believe it will be late 07. Someone posted a cataloge in the KTM section and it was listed for 07. I'll try and look up the thread.

Uh, FYI the KTM 144cc is a 2-stroke, made to give a little competition to the 250f's, not a small bore race 4-stroke ?