Sign in to follow this  

Kx 250 2005 problem need help!!!

Had and enduro race last sunday did a checkup inspection after the race and notice i ran out of coolant in radiator.So topped it up.This saturday morning went for a ride to see if coolant would leak for like 1 hour , bike went great,when i got back checked coolant level was fine.After lunch fill her up with fresh fuel super unleaded mix 38:1 synth fire her up and leave for the woods ....THEN she starts sputterring i give her more gas and she sputters more white smoke then she dies on me.I Re-start her she sputters again i give tons of gas to clear her up and she dies.What the heck? Any ideas guys?

When i got home i flushed the gas in tank and carb and refilled with new gas and she does the same thing.The bike has new trans oil ,fresh washed and oiled filter ,and fresh gas.The only thing i didnt try is changing the spark plug and re-trying it.Did notice my muffler has black goo dripping out since i bought the bike in June.Could it be the spark plug or the top end is screwd up?

I only used it 9 times in enduros and always run with clean filter and changed my trans oil each 3 races :thumbsup:

white smoke sounds like a head gasket problem.you might want to check that out and since you ran it out of coolant check the head for any signs of warping.

Yes the coolant is still fine, up to the filler neck.Doesnt seem to have a leak of coolant from the outside and the level doesnt drop in the radiator.Some guys on other sites told me my plug could be fouled or compression loss.But dont have a gauge to check compression so....im screwed for that. :thumbsup:

well actually it starts but take many kicks ..and once started i cant keep it alive it sputters to a slow and progressive death and smoke a bunch when you give gas to try keeping it alive.

have u tried jumping it because if it dies after jumping it, you could be looking at compresson loss of a top end. if you can take a peak at the top end, just pull the cylender head off and see if you piston rings are still in place. other than that i would think of cleaning the carb jets because that will bring it to a sputering death! happend on mine.

good luck bud!

is the choke on? maybe a stuck float? check your vent tubes on carb to make sure they are not clogged or crimped.you probably were not completley out of coolant but lost some when you got the bike to boil over in a slow section.if the coolant was "empty" you would have had to add 2 or more quarts of coolant and the bike would have seized from overheating.

Finally guys it was a fouled spark plug.Took the plug out for replacement and the old plug was pitch black couldnt even see the ceramic anymore.Put the new plug in she started on the 1st kick with no choke and it was cold outside last night like 8 C .She started with no smoke and kept idling without gas the problem is fixed.NOW that means im du for rejeting and have no idea how.

I run 40:1 Ipone and the plug is black instead of a coffee color so it probably means my jetting is to rich but i dont know skawt about jetting ajustements.

:thumbsup:

Finally guys it was a fouled spark plug..

:thumbsup:

I got here late, but the first thing to try when a 2 stroke doesn't run right is **ALWAYS** a new plug. I won't ride w/o carrying a spare and a plug wrench.

The plug is the problem at least 98% of the time, though there may be another problem that is causing the plug to fail, e.g. bad RH crank seal, broken reed valve, or in your case, I'm worried about the head gasket.

Keep an eye on the coolant, if it drops again soon, you may have another problem and the plug was a symptom of that problem.