Sign in to follow this  

oil change

I am not sure but I couldnt find and torque for the 2 drain bolts? Does anybody know? Its 2 quarts or just under I believe. SO how many of you went to synthetic after the first oil change and bit your nails because you worried? I have seen the data on break in and full synthetic, then again thats what I do.

don't torque just tighten, its only holding oil in, its not holding the bike together. i'm still using conventional oil... for now

I swear I heard that theres is some secret filter screen that I should be looking for. Wheres it at and how much work is it too get too?

its right above the frame drain plug, follow the hose, its easy to check and should be checked at least once.

I used a 24mm socket to remove the frame screen fitting.And as said,just snug up the drain screws.But if you absolutely have to have the spec it is;cranckcase 15 ftlbs and frame plug 13 ftlbs.I used synth oil at the first change and ever since without issue.

Clean the screen once when you first get the bike on the first oil change and then anytime you have to dig into the engine. I still remove mine once a year anyway and never find much.

I don't go to synth until after the first couple of oil changes, 3 or 4 of dino first.

I used a 24mm socket to remove the frame screen fitting.And as said,just snug up the drain screws.But if you absolutely have to have the spec it is;cranckcase 15 ftlbs and frame plug 13 ftlbs.I used synth oil at the first change and ever since without issue.

Be aware that most 1/2" torque wrenches are not going to be accurate at those low levels. For anything like that I'd either use a good 3/8" or even better do what has been recommended here and snug down by feel.

it's only oil plugs. just snug them up. if you are worried go for a ride them take a paper towel and rub around the plugs. do you see oil?? probably not.

O crap, I was in such a hurray I didnt do it but atleast I got the oil changed. She just purs on that Mobil 1. I couldnt even tell it was running. HA Ill get that screen on the next one. It was about to storm here and I rushed it. I got the bolts down to spec. Sweet. I even remembered to put that little o ring back on the filter.