Sign in to follow this  

smr 450 valve adjustment

Just wondering if anyone can give me a run down or know of a website that can give me a heads up on adjusting valves with shims. I have never had to adjust valves before using shims. i understand how they work I would just like to see a step by step break down of doing it...thanks.

Damian

Oh let's see, I'll take a stab:

Remove seat/tank. Clean off anything that might fall into top end.

Disconnect manual decompresser cable.

Use sharpie to mark valve cover bolts, make a line across each bolt head onto the cover, so you can tighten them up without having to torque nor over torque. Remove four bolts.

Slide cover out the kick starter side.

Check clearance with slightly bent feeler gauge(s) with engine at/near TDC. All valves should have some clearance, but be sure right exhaust isn't WAY loose...if so the auto decompression mechanism is likely engaged holding the valve open. Rotate around stoke using kick starter.

The shims come in 0.05mm increments. Reuse any shims you can. They are marked, but a decent micrometer is nice to have to measure if the mark is worn off.

Use a spring puller, or a bent into a hook icepick to pop off the spring clips that keep the rockers in place. Slide the appropriate rocker out of the way to access the shim.

Use a magnet-on-a-stick to retrieve shim from bucket. :thumbsup:

Read/measure/replace. Just a dab of grease on the feeler gauge will stick the shim to it making it quite easy to slide the shim back into the bucket without dropping it into the engine...

Recheck clearance...

Snap the rocker clip back in place. Replace cover, tighten. Reconnect decomp cable...

That's about it. It will take you about 30 mins. the first time, and 10 mins. the second. Be happy you aren't doing this on a late model CRF. :ride:

Unless you rev the snot out of it, don't expect them to have moved much. On my TE450, after 700 miles, my intakes we're on the tight side of spec and exhausts dead on middle of spec. I loosened up both intakes one increment.

thanks sounds good!! I only have one valve that seems a bit tight, the right exhaust valve. i'm gonna go at it today, thanks for your help!!

Damian