Sign in to follow this  

Spring life

Any thoughts on how long to use a spring before it needs to be replaced? I have been using the fork and shock springs in my bike for the last two years. Do they wear out or does the performance drop off? I am pulling them out of my '05 tonight and putting the stock springs back in before I trade it in on an '07. Is it alright to use those springs for another year or should I get new ones?

You should never have to replace a spring in a modern day motorcycle suspension due to it "wearing out" or gettin old, etc.

The steel used in a spring won't take a set unless it is stressed past its elastic yield.

This won't happen in the normal use of a suspension fork.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Now valve springs on the other hand.......

You should never have to replace a spring in a modern day motorcycle suspension due to it "wearing out" or gettin old, etc.

The steel used in a spring won't take a set unless it is stressed past its elastic yield.

This won't happen in the normal use of a suspension fork.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Now valve springs on the other hand.......

I disagree, springs will weaken with use over time. The only way to tell for sure is to have them tested. A good suspension shop will able to test them & usually don't charge to much, around $10.

I don't really see springs "weakening" so much after time. I do however see some of them "sacking" or loosing their free length. I have tested many springs over time, when this has happened, and it seems like they still have the same strength but just a little shorter. On a shock spring you just need to adj. the preload and in the case of forks maybe just add a spacer to get the free length back.

doc