Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel changeout question

I just pulled the flywheel off my bike and I see what looks like a part at the rear of the flywheel thats not on the new one :thumbsup: . Am i suposed to detach this part from the old flywheel for the new one or does the new one not need it?

And if I am supposed to remove it, how do I do it?

I tried to post a picture of the flywheels here but couldn't figure it out. Put pictures of the flywheels in my garage though in case anyone needs to see it.

Last thing, and the nut on the stock flywheel that you hold when you loosen the retaining nut, does it somehow come off and go on the new one?

Last thing, and the nut on the stock flywheel that you hold when you loosen the retaining nut, does it somehow come off and go on the new one?

No it does not come off, you need to hold the new fltwheel with a strap wrench.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

Thanks for the help guys. Almost done now. Just need to get me a strap wrench. You guys are great.

I am going to a kick start only on my SM and will be removing the starter motor. Is it O.K. to leave the starter clutch assembly off of the flywheel, since I will not need it any more? That should lighten the flywheel even more, right?.

I am going to a kick start only on my SM and will be removing the starter motor. Is it O.K. to leave the starter clutch assembly off of the flywheel, since I will not need it any more? That should lighten the flywheel even more, right?.

you can leave all of it out.