Choices choices... 06 or 07 300exc

Hi All, time for another new bike question!!! :ride:

I was all set to buy a new 300exc when I found a really clean 06 for a £1000 less ? (£3800).

Its only done four hours (according to the onboard computer), and its got all the bits on it I'd buy myself (frame/sump/hand/exhaust/rad guards).

The only thing thats stopping me is the fact that its a kick start. My last bike was a WR250F and it was an absolute biatch to start! I know... I know... four strokes can be bad starters, but what can I expect from the exc? (never had a 2-stroke before). What is the starting drill on a 2-stroke? Jump on and kick it? Also, is there anything I should be looking for besides the usual wear and tear items?

So what do you think?

Laters

flip

starting the bike shouldnt be a problem. if this is your only worry, then i say buy the bike. i came off of an xr250 onto a 200exc. the xr was one of the hardest bikes to start after a fall, but the 2 stroke is very easy to start. if the bike is running fine, then being hard to start wont even be an issue.

the way you've described the 06, i wouldnt pass it up if everything on it is in good shape.

Tommy

I saw a picture of an 07 and it had black rims. If that matters to you.
It'll be covered in mud within a week... so not really!

So we're unanimous that the 2-stroke is an easy starter, excellent. The next question is what should I be looking for on this used bike, and what should it come with (I'm sure I heard mention of some KTM briefcase and some spares?)

If you end up getting everything, you should have:

A Briefcase.

Owners manual x4? (English and several other languages).

Parts manual (Chassis).

Parts manual (Engine).

Manual for forks.

Manual for shock absorber.

Tube with red & green PV spring, needle and jets).

A Pen.

Toolkit.

If you get the '06 model, you also get a spares kit (not with the '07):

Graphics kit.

Radiator shrouds.

MX front number plate.

Airfilter.

Grips.

Bar pad.

Chain slider.

So how easy are the 2-strokes to start (coming from a bitch of a 4-stroke I'm a bit nervous :S).

Also, how exact do you have to be with the premix? Will a glug of oil do or do you have to be more precise? What will happen if you put too much in?

Sorry four the stupid questions but like I said... 2-strokes are all new to me!

The 2-strokes are really easy to start. There's nothing to be nervous about. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

When you get it (i know you will ?), re-route the 2 breather hoses from the carby up into the airbox so it won't stall when you're in the middle of a boghole.

You have to be reasonably precise because your bike is tuned to a certain air/fuel ratio and putting more or less oil in your fuel will alter this.

I mix mine at 40:1 (250ml of oil with 10 litres of fuel).

Cheers,

Mike.

I didn't get ANY spares on my 06 ?

Hmm.. you might want to enquire about it.

Just looking at this page, it seems you're supposed to get something..

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/new_cross_country_2006.htm

XC CHASSIS

• Additional kit with plastics, stickers, air filter, engine protector

Only the 4-strokes get the engine protector though.