Sign in to follow this  

06' wr 250 break-in options

I have a 3 month old and wondering what the right break-in should be. I have heard sooooo many different ways, here are a few.

1. Run it like you stole it from day 1

2.) short shift, but open the throttle wide open in each gear

3.) ??????

What do you think shoud be the best way to get the rings to seat properly.

If it is 3 months old, wouldn't it be broken in? Haven't you ridden it yet?

Anyway, I prefer number 1 method.

No, I have not ridden it yet. I am looking for a serious response, something that will work and be good for the bike. I am not really looking for sarcasm

Just take it easy for the first 2 hours, then let her rip!!

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Just take it easy for the first 2 hours, then let her rip!!

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

agreed, i always take it easy, even on my cr80 and it always turns out fine

Take it easy for 15 minutes, change the oil & filter, then do #2 with a lot of engine breaking too but don't shift too short, you want it up in the rpm, just not bouncing off the limiter. :thumbsup:

This is what has always worked well for me:

Don't let the bike idle for extended periods. You want to LOAD the engine as much as possible. Having said that don't thrash it while it's cold. Let her warm up a bit and load it as soon as possible.

Don't be afraid to ride it a gear higher than you normally would - this will make engine work harder. Let the rev's build aswell, but don't hit the limiter. Uphill rides are really good for loading the bike. Don't try running it in by just reving it in neutral - make the bike work hard against load.

Oil changes are really cheap insurance for engine longevity. Change it after your first 15 minute ride. Take it for another good ride (say 1 hour) and change it again along with the filter. You'll most probably find bits of metal in the oil - this is normal. You'll continue to find crap in there for awhile. If its a factory delivered bike I often drop the factory oil out and run it fresh on my own oil. These bikes sit around for a long time before they get delivered. Some will disagree with me here but it sure as hell doesn't hurt to be overly protective of your investment. Keep changing your oil regularly for the first 600 - 800 km.

On a final note (some might disagree) - I always run a mineral based oil whilst running in - NOT synthetic (its cheaper too). Motul 3000 works well. This helps bed the rings in and doesn't allow the bores to become glazed. I use this for the first 500 - 800 kms and then switch to semi-synthetic. Like I say some will say that using the semi-synthetic stuff from new is fine.

Another thing, don't bother trying to jet the bike properly while its brand new. I found finetuning the thing while the engine is tight to be a real pain in the bum. Whait till she's loosened up a bit.

This procedure has worked perfectly for me and my friends bikes without fault. Having said that there are a number of schools of thought on this procedure.

Have fun!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

THAT is what I was looking for, you guys are great! I will take all of these replys and put them to good use. I would have never figured out the best way. Thanks again. :thumbsup::ride:

No, I have not ridden it yet. I am looking for a serious response, something that will work and be good for the bike. I am not really looking for sarcasm

How's this for sarcasm - use the search button! :thumbsup:

How's this for sarcasm - use the search button! :ride:

Obviously you are the only one with a smart-ass attitude. This is a HELP forum, not a place to argue or match wits with. Be gone :thumbsup:

Obviously you are the only one with a smart-ass attitude. This is a HELP forum, not a place to argue or match wits with. Be gone :thumbsup:

What was sarcastic about my first post? You asked, I answered.

The help you need is not for your bike man..........