Sign in to follow this  

Crankcase breather tube soiling outside of airbox

Hi all,

Last night I completed my first valve adjustment ever (pics soon to follow).

When I took the seat and tank off, I noticed that the outside of the air box and that general area was covered in a mixture of oil and dust, quite thick. I thought the crankcase breather hose actually went into the air box, but it just loops around into a snorkel.

Is this amount of dirt and gunk normal? All I can think of is that an oil level that is too high might exacerbate this, but perhaps it happens on all XRs.

Cheers,

d.

Don't know about yours, but on US bikes, the California models actually have a nipple on the airbox for the vent to connect to, where-as on the 49 state bikes it is routed to a separator canistor. It's common here to remove the canistor and just route a single vent line from the crankcase nipple to something like a UNI breather filter and locate/zip tie that under the seat.

If the crankcase has been overfilled with oil, it is definately possible/probable to get blow-by out of the vent line. Make sure your oil level check technique is correct and that you're not adding too much. Do a search here for the proper technique if you think you may not be doing it right.

Well, my bike is a 96 Jap model, the manual says it is a DK type, and in the shop manual there are two illustrations, labelled as "96-97, Except California type" and "After 97, California Type", so that would account for the differences you mention.

Too much oil is a possibility, because despite the fact that I'm quick to remind others of the proper procedure, I sometimes skip it myself (yeah, shame on me). I usually check the oil on a Saturday, before leaving town for a ride, but sometimes I am in a rush or feel very guilty about running my completely de-restricted bike for the 10 minutes required for an accurate reading in our small multi-house driveway. I have often thought of making some sort of temporary butt-plug for the bike, so I can leave it idling and not be such a bother to others.

When I finish putting it back together I'll measure the oil level properly; that should be this afternoon, and I'll report back.

Cheers!

d.