Sign in to follow this  

Need GPS Mount advice

I'm finally ready to take the plunge to buy a GPS...

I'm in Africa and I got a hold of a copy of Garmin Mapsource Worldmap 4.06...

I thought I was going to buy the Garmin Venture CX but then I found out it doesn't come with the USB Cable and Micro SD Card so I'm probably going to go with the

Legend CX or the VISTA CX (Legend comes with bigger SD card but VISTA has Altimeter and Electronic Compass)...

So...What mount should I go with for my DRZ???

Depending on which model I buy (They all have $50 rebate right now) I'm probably going to go for the Legend or VISTA CX so I'm already spending more money than I wanted to so which mount is strong for the ETREX range and not too expensive? I think the Touratech models are very strong but also very expensive...What other less expensive models are there that are still strong for the new Etrex models? (And don't cost as much as the Touratech).

Don't know much about this GPS stuff so your help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Legend C has a compass when moving, and an altitude read out, as do nearly all GPS units.

I use a standard Garmin handle bar mount for my Legend C, I also use battery power, not the bikes battery as it has proved to be more reliable.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Details in My Garage.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=14260

Neil,

Is that mount strong enough for serious off-roading? Isn't that one made from plastic?

I'm thinking of going with the VISTA CX because of the Electronic Compass which works even when standing still...It also has an altimeter but don't think I'd use that much here (but would back in States)...The Legend comes with a bigger SD card (64MB) vs. the VISTA (32MB) but I wouldn't be loading many maps so the 32MB should be fine and I think the electronic compass in the VISTA CX might be handy as you could still use it while standing still..

I love the added features on my Vista and love my RAM mount too. I have a suction cup windshield mount and use my ram mount both on the bike and in my truck/car.

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Is the RAM mount metal or plastic? I use my DRZ for serious high speed off-road and jumping so the mount needs to be strong and hold the GPS securely...

I love the added features on my Vista and love my RAM mount too. I have a suction cup windshield mount and use my ram mount both on the bike and in my truck/car.

I got the metal ram mount which means the arm and the plates that the balls mount to are metal. The "jacket" so to speak that covers the gps is plastic, but very strong. I've had mine up to 100 mounted in the air flow and it doesn't budge. I spent a good bit researching mounts and i'm pretty sure its the strongest out there... the only other thing was that metal contraption that is lockable, and pricey if i remember correctly.

Oh, and btw, not only is the vista superior because of the elect. compass... the barameter is cool when cold fronts and low pressure storm systems pass your area... I was checking the barameter hourly during hurricane season :thumbsup:

Stephen,

Thanks...Not too many cold fronts here in these parts but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the ViSTA Cx...Only thing about the RAM mount that makes me worry is that plastic "jacket" bit... That locking metal contraption you are talking about...Is that the Touratech...I think those are like $100 or more if I remember right... I think IMS has a big selection also of GPS mounts but I couldn't make heads or tails of their listings when I looked there last...

I got the metal ram mount which means the arm and the plates that the balls mount to are metal. The "jacket" so to speak that covers the gps is plastic, but very strong. I've had mine up to 100 mounted in the air flow and it doesn't budge. I spent a good bit researching mounts and i'm pretty sure its the strongest out there... the only other thing was that metal contraption that is lockable, and pricey if i remember correctly.

Oh, and btw, not only is the vista superior because of the elect. compass... the barameter is cool when cold fronts and low pressure storm systems pass your area... I was checking the barameter hourly during hurricane season :thumbsup:

If it helps you any, there are 2 "tabs" at the top of the gps cradle (you can see them in my pic) those are stretched out and the gps drops in the front of the cradle and when you release the tabs the plastic springs back to its original shape. I was skepical of this design at first, but after using it 6 months or so it works really well. The plastic seems to spring back to its shape very well. Good luck with your hunt, there are tons of threads on thumpertalk alone :thumbsup:

Went with the Garmin Vista Cx...

Called IMS and after talking with them went with

their metal handlebar mount for the Etrex series rather

than their crossbar mount. Plan on mounting on the left

hand side on the handlebar bend right where the cross

bar meets and angling the GPS for best visibility...

Will post a PIC when I get everything...

$279 from PCNation with FREE 3 Day Shipping (Best price I could find with the shipping)...Also qualifies for $50 rebate til December....

IMS Handlebar mount $56 (shipping price unknown).

Neil,

Is that mount strong enough for serious off-roading? Isn't that one made from plastic?

Yes it is made from plastic, and so is the GPS, But it is probably a little weaker than the GPS unit.

Which means (in theory) it will break before the unit, which is GOOD.

Over the last 2.5 years and about 20,000 miles that mount has given me no problems.

the cost was about £15.00 and comes with a new back panel for the GPS, so should it ever wear out, it is only another £15.00.

As for strong, my GPS was in place earlier this year when I had a real big get-off, it never moved

and the GPS even recorded the drop in altitude :applause:

No seriously, the crash resulted in 5 cracked ribs and a fractured shoulder blade, and a fair bit of plastic damage along with forks and yokes twisted and the bars moving, and the GPS was fine.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Neil,

Thanks for the info...I've probably spent more than I needed to...But then again...That's pretty standard for me and the DRZ...Oh well...

Good Riding :thumbsup:

I hope this helps.. I use the plastic ram mount on my Legend C and I crash all the time and the thing never broke on me...

Is the RAM mount metal or plastic? I use my DRZ for serious high speed off-road and jumping so the mount needs to be strong and hold the GPS securely...

The RAM is great. Most of it is plastic but it will handle it. I got the stainless steel ubolt with mine and love it.

I use a Magilan Marine GPS that has the topo maps of the USA on it. I added velcro the very top of the seat by the gas tank. This is a great spot if you go down because it is not likely to get damaged. At first I was wondering if it would come loose running offroad but it is yet to be a problem. I do take it off if I going to be racing and jumping through the woods. I do not have it hooked up to the 12v source because it would be a hassle to take the power cord off and on. What is good about the Velcro is if you leave the bike for any reason you can just put the GPS in your pocket and not worry about it being stolen. I have made the drz400e street legal and do not run a speedometer I just us the GPS for knowing how fast I go. The state inspection station did not have any problems with the GPS being used for a speedometer. When I am dual sporting I leave the screen on map mode. The great thing about the GPS is knowing where you are going before you get there and how to get out when you are lost.