Sign in to follow this  

wr or yz?

i have done some homework and have decided i am going to get a 2001-2003 wr250f or a yz250f, i have looked at the search feature and have found no in depth answer for my criteria, i am 5'3 or 5'4 with boots, weigh about 110, and am almost 15, i am going to shave seat foam and set up the suspension with alot of sag because at 110 pounds i dont need the same amount of travel as someone who weighs 160, i ride about 90% trails that are loose rock, rocky hillclimbs, very deep mud, relatively deep water crossings, smallish jumps, rutted trails, and sharp turns in tight woods will occasionally ride at night. and i ride about 10% motocross, i am not that good at mx. i can handle the weight of the crf 230 so the weight of the wr should not be bad for me. here is a list of things i like about both bikes

wr250f

headlight light

tail light

large capacity fuel tank

wide ratio transmission for fire roads

good for enduro

yz250f

light weight

good for mx

very fast exceleration for hillclimbs

right now i think i am leaning toward the wr, i would rather suffer on the track, than not have lights and larger fuel tank, any opinions on my thoughts, anyone agree or disagree?

Search again. At least 10,000 posts on this wihtin the last 30 days.

(Get the WR)

I would get the yzf because there are a lot of people that use track bikes on trails and you don't have to do much to the bike to use it on trails...if you want lights and a bigger tank, you can get it for the yzf...but I seem to get a lot of miles on a stock tank on my 250f. But they're both good bikes...basically the same except for the lights and tank as you said.

well i have a wr 250f and ill tell u ive researched lots on it and there r few things not the same as a yz on this bike.Well from wat i understand the w is a yz jst the timing cams r different the electric stuff and the gear ratios. I have few aftermarket parts on my bike all i have is a boysen carb, a fmf powerbomb header and fmf exhaust and from wat i read thts all u need to make it into a yz. Now people i heard complain bout the timin cams but i dont notice nethin and wat they could experience is the added wait. Now i trail ride and jump and the suspension is fully adjustable and i forget the size of the front forks i jst know the not much smaller then my bros kx125. P.S. my bike is a 03

get a wr250. good bike for woods and trails. get a different front/rear sprocket for the track and go have some fun.

i think the wr would be good for me, was the 01-03 models electric start?

i think the wr would be good for me, was the 01-03 models electric start?

I'm pretty sure '03 was the first year with electric start (which is incredibly handy, I might add).

Tons of info about both bikes here - http://www.thumperfaq.com/

I'm pretty sure '03 was the first year with electric start (which is incredibly handy, I might add).

Tons of info about both bikes here - http://www.thumperfaq.com/

thanks, i am not sure if i want elecric start, it adds almost 20 pounds to the dry weight, and i like having kick, it is more reliable in my oppinion.

If you read the yz250f faq site, most of the mods and information is how to make a wr into a yzf. Why not just get a 250f and add lights and bigger tank if needed. You are still lite, I would not want the additional weight of the electric start. My 03 250f starts very easily. I aggressivly ride mostly woods as you do with the occasional mx, and like my 250f very much. I do wish it weighed less. I weight about 165 and I am 5'5''. If you added 20lbs to my bike, I don't think I would like nearly as much. Get a 03 ( has decomp cam for easy starting) or newer 250f and you will be happy.

i am going to shave seat foam and set up the suspension with alot of sag because at 110 pounds i dont need the same amount of travel as someone who weighs 160, ?

You've got some misinformation here about your sag. Do not run a lot of sag as this will dramatically affect the bikes ability to corner.....not enough weight on the front tire to dig and bite and hold a line. Shaving the seat will help and most importantly purchase the correct spring rate front and back. When setting on the bike the bike will compress more than with the heavier springs.

What is your inseam? That is more relevant than your height. I've got a 29" inseam and that's marginal, but with some experience the short inseam is not a huge factor.

thanks, i am not sure if i want elecric start, it adds almost 20 pounds to the dry weight, and i like having kick, it is more reliable in my oppinion.

The WR's have a kick start also in case you want ot use it or your battery dies etc.

You've got some misinformation here about your sag. Do not run a lot of sag as this will dramatically affect the bikes ability to corner.....not enough weight on the front tire to dig and bite and hold a line. Shaving the seat will help and most importantly purchase the correct spring rate front and back. When setting on the bike the bike will compress more than with the heavier springs.

What is your inseam? That is more relevant than your height. I've got a 29" inseam and that's marginal, but with some experience the short inseam is not a huge factor.

im sorry if this is a dumb question but what does "inseam" mean?

ok i have a 31 inch inseam, but i am pretty experienced i have been riding since i was 7

is a wr250f the same size as an 98 rm125? i rode my dads and i cannot start it without boots on, and then i am whereing boots pushing it. do you guys think i should ride a wr250 before i start to pursue adds or do you think i should just keep working with my dads rm? i know it sounds like a stupid question because i should definitly ride the bike before i get it but there are no people where i live that even own a 250f, let alone a wr250, and every dealer around here will not let you test ride unless you are over 18. any oppinions

is a wr250f the same size as an 98 rm125? i rode my dads and i cannot start it without boots on, and then i am whereing boots pushing it. do you guys think i should ride a wr250 before i start to pursue adds or do you think i should just keep working with my dads rm? i know it sounds like a stupid question because i should definitly ride the bike before i get it but there are no people where i live that even own a 250f, let alone a wr250, and every dealer around here will not let you test ride unless you are over 18. any oppinions

If you can't ride it at the dealer, then at least go sit on one to see how your legs do with respect to touching the ground. The WR has the e-start button, so starting it will be easy. The only problem is when you stop to put your feet down, but with your inseam of 31 inches, you should be OK with that too.

Practice riding the RM125 for a while to get used to its height, since the WR is also a pretty tall bike.

Personally, I love having the pushbutton start. Especially when the bike's still hot after stalling it out on a nasty hillclimb. And they still have a kickstarter in case your battery dies. But I've never had to kick either of my WR's. So I'd say it's just as reliable as a kickstarter providing you take care of your battery with a battery tender.

It does add weight, though...I don't think 20 lbs just for the starter, but it's definitely a little heavier. It's all about the tradeoff. And ultimately, it's up to you.

i got a wr and i love it. when you get the jetting right and the yz cams you can make close if not just as much power as the yzf.

ok i have a 31 inch inseam, but i am pretty experienced i have been riding since i was 7

you should be OK then, provided you install the correct springs for your weight.