Sign in to follow this  

full QT of oil in the trans?

Hey guys,

i just bought my 06 450x the other day and later found this site. So far i am loving both, but i have read alot of post about running a full qt of oil in the trans to prevent transmission seizures, and was wondering whats it all about? is it just happening to guys that are dual sporting them or a mix of everyone? i ride alot of trails and old logging/fire roads and alot of them have long straight streches where you can reach top speed and hole it for a few km's, and am slightly worried after reading all the seizing problems. So should i be running the full qt even though my dealer has heard nothing of these problems and tells me to stick with the spec amount just check it before every ride? what would be a problem with topping it up to the full qt? anybody had any adverse effects from running the full qt? i need help i dont want to smoke my brand new bike. thanks guys

Full quart every time with no problems. I also change my oil every 100 miles and clean the air filter. Maybe a bit excessive, but cheap insurance all around.

Paul

There are threads on this subject with hundreds of replies. The issue is this, a cavity exists in the trans that will not fill without running the bike for a minute or two. Thus a fast PDI can cause a low oil situation even if it shows full. Even with the recheck/add many think adding a bit more is good cheap insurance with no known side effects. I have not heard of a single "full quart" trans lock up.

I hope you love your bike as much as I do!

Ranco, 06 CRF450X

Ranco, thanks for your input. I have always wondered what the cause was for the tranny seizures and you are first one I have read to state a cavity exists in the tranny that may not get oil without a full quart.

Sounds like it should be OK if we run a full QT and let bike warm up fully before long fifth gear runs (which you should do anyway).

I wouldn't take my bike apart for this but if the cases had to be split for some reason I would want to stuff the cavity, meaning a precision fit filler piece properly installed.

I would think that Honda would modify the engine design to eliminate this cavity and relocate the oil level check hole. But I have not heard if the 07 will be the same tranny case or updated to solve this seizure issue.

Besides the infamous letter has anyone heard if Honda plans to make a design change to fix the problem?

Hey guys,

i just bought my 06 450x the other day and later found this site. So far i am loving both, but i have read alot of post about running a full qt of oil in the trans to prevent transmission seizures, and was wondering whats it all about? is it just happening to guys that are dual sporting them or a mix of everyone? i ride alot of trails and old logging/fire roads and alot of them have long straight streches where you can reach top speed and hole it for a few km's, and am slightly worried after reading all the seizing problems. So should i be running the full qt even though my dealer has heard nothing of these problems and tells me to stick with the spec amount just check it before every ride? what would be a problem with topping it up to the full qt? anybody had any adverse effects from running the full qt? i need help i dont want to smoke my brand new bike. thanks guys

What I have read describes the problem as follows. Honda sets up their tyranny's very tight which makes it more difficult for oil to get between the gears and shims. Combine this with insufficient oil level and you have a potential lubrication problem. When you run a full quart the oil level is up into the gears instead of just below them. Some think Honda was relying on the oil splashing up into the gears as the bike was ridden over rough terrain. Most of the problems have occurred when running in top gear on smooth pavement which would seem to verify this logic. The bottom line is: Run a full quart. It will not hurt anything and your bike will love you for it.

I've tried to get this answered before. Does anyone know what a "Full Quart" is in metric terms (litres), for those of us living in the southern hemisphere and on the other side of the world, and upside down etc etc etc....

just buy the pro honda trans oil it says 80-85 weight comes in a black bottle. was originally designed for the CR trans. it comes in a 1 quart bottle and use the whole bottle. most every bottle of oil i have bought has always come in a 1 quart bottle. reguardless of the Litres just dump 1 bottle of oil in and you will be fine!

just buy the pro honda trans oil it says 80-85 weight comes in a black bottle. was originally designed for the CR trans. it comes in a 1 quart bottle and use the whole bottle. most every bottle of oil i have bought has always come in a 1 quart bottle. reguardless of the Litres just dump 1 bottle of oil in and you will be fine!
Awesome - that sounds so easy I reckon even I could do it. I got my 150km break-in service done by the dealer recently and the gave me the (small amount - about 100 ml) leftover trans oil that was left in the bottom of the bottle. I'll pour it in tonight before my next ride I think. Thanks Bass Man. :thumbsup:

946 ml is a full quart had the tranny lock up on mine, since the rebuild i've been running a full quart and all is good enjoy!

I've tried to get this answered before. Does anyone know what a "Full Quart" is in metric terms (litres), for those of us living in the southern hemisphere and on the other side of the world, and upside down etc etc etc....

:thumbsup:

946ml

aka 1 litre

946 ml is a full quart had the tranny lock up on mine, since the rebuild i've been running a full quart and all is good enjoy!

OK - it seems we can shut this thread down now. By all reports a "Full Quart" is the same as a Normal Quart which is 946 ml, which is the best part of 1 litre, which is the approx standard bottle size of the Honda HP Tranny oil in both the US and in Aust. That is to say - to run the "Full Quart" in the US you use 1 bottle. And in Oz we run a "Full Litre" - one bottle also. Neat and simple. Thanks for all input. :thumbsup:

OK - it seems we can shut this thread down now. By all reports a "Full Quart" is the same as a Normal Quart which is 946 ml, which is the best part of 1 litre, which is the approx standard bottle size of the Honda HP Tranny oil in both the US and in Aust. That is to say - to run the "Full Quart" in the US you use 1 bottle. And in Oz we run a "Full Litre" - one bottle also. Neat and simple. Thanks for all input. :thumbsup:

RRR

You may also need to have the bushings drilled and the gears notched for ultimate longevity.

That's what I'm having done to my R gearbox for those long transports around Mt Buller.

I was riding up the Mt Buller road a while back toward Merrijig sitting on 100km/hr just waiting for the box to lunch itself - I run a litre on both sides of the engine. Happy to say the 450R box lasted well.

RRR

You may also need to have the bushings drilled and the gears notched for ultimate longevity.

That's what I'm having done to my R gearbox for those long transports around Mt Buller.

I was riding up the Mt Buller road a while back toward Merrijig sitting on 100km/hr just waiting for the box to lunch itself - I run a litre on both sides of the engine. Happy to say the 450R box lasted well.

Yeah - that's what i'm talking about - real riding.

You say "lasted well" does that mean it failed or it's still going?

We get up to Big River / Jamieson area and work our way south down to Woods Point / McAdams Gap and back at least once a year. Try to get to Bright and surrounds yearly also. We try not to do too much transporting on gravel (and especially not bitumen) but sometimes you just have to and this high gear / speed / flat running has me concerned. Drilling & notching??? Sounds like a good solution - also sounds pricey. Who does this work and what sort of $ are we talking?

yeah it still hauls the mail. the 450R is one hell of a trail bike.

I have a wide ratio box from baja designs in the packet still so just waiting for the 450R to lunch itself - you cant expect too long from these engines. 14/48 on the R model box is bloody good.

did all around jamo last xmas - son of a bitch spur, slatemine, bluff hut and then stirling and buller.

son of a bitch spur, slatemine, bluff hut and then stirling and buller.

You aussies are so colorful....I it sounds like a cuss line but I know your just naming places, I had to read it twice to figure that out though

I have a question? I run a full quart in my 06 450x. Every time I am riding on flat pavement in 5th gear (sometimes 4-5 miles) I am sitting there nervous as hell waiting to have the back tire lock-up? How real is this threat if I am running a full quart? and what happens if my trannie locks up? can I pull the clutch? am I f :thumbsup: d? and last is there a single person on this thread that is running a full quart and had trannie problems???

Thanks Guys!

p.s. I have over 1000miles on my bike with 0 problems! all valves were in spec at 500 miles! love the bike! :ride:

2006 450x (plated) and at Corbin right now getting a FREE custom seat.....thx to tt :applause:

I have a question? I run a full quart in my 06 450x. Every time I am riding on flat pavement in 5th gear (sometimes 4-5 miles) I am sitting there nervous as hell waiting to have the back tire lock-up? How real is this threat if I am running a full quart? and what happens if my trannie locks up? can I pull the clutch? am I f :thumbsup: d? and last is there a single person on this thread that is running a full quart and had trannie problems???

Thanks Guys!

p.s. I have over 1000miles on my bike with 0 problems! all valves were in spec at 500 miles! love the bike! :ride:

2006 450x (plated) and at Corbin right now getting a FREE custom seat.....thx to tt :applause:

there is 1 person on this site who ran a full quart and had a lockup, however i think his locked once before.

other than that i dont know of anyone, i also dont know if the 06's are affected or not. im going to run a full quart and cross my fingers.