Sign in to follow this  

Check Your Plug

Just to let everyone know. I have been running the JD jet kit for a while now. Install is EASY and this is the one part HONDA should install at the factory. 5 rides in and I decided to check the plug. TOO WHITE. Bike was running great. I went to the 170 Main-jet and now all is fine. Instructions called for the 165 with airbox mods and stock pipe. I am only about 300 feet above sea level. I have NO complaints with this product at all. Just remember to read your PLUG. LEAN is no good. Has anyone else noticed this? I may even try raising the needle 1 clip. Throwing more fuel at it has had no ill effects in response. Seemed to be just what the doctor ordered.

Paul

You can't go off the plug color. A properly jetted 4 stroke will have a plug that looks pretty much like it hasn't been used.

I take exception, I spent many years with Louie Unser the engine builder (yes, brother of Al and Bobby) we did a lot of plug work, he always wanted to look at all the plugs when we were setting the carb for a particular race/altitude.

Randy

I take exception, I spent many years with Louie Unser the engine builder (yes, brother of Al and Bobby) we did a lot of plug work, he always wanted to look at all the plugs when we were setting the carb for a particular race/altitude.

Randy

It doesn't work on the new thumpers with pump fuel as well as most race fuels. I've jetted a ton of new thumpers and when they are jetted correctly, the plug looks white and new. Ask our local jetting Guru, Eddie "Burned" Sisneros if you don't believe me.

It doesn't work on the new thumpers with pump fuel as well as most race fuels. I've jetted a ton of new thumpers and when they are jetted correctly, the plug looks white and new. Ask our local jetting Guru, Eddie "Burned" Sisneros if you don't believe me.

:thumbsup: OK, so I am old school, I do apologize. Ranco

You can't go off the plug color. A properly jetted 4 stroke will have a plug that looks pretty much like it hasn't been used.

If that's the case, I don't know anyone with a properly jetted bike :thumbsup:

4Chevys - I am running the 165 main with the JD kit, top of the airbox opened and sides also. Twin air powerflow kit too. I'm at sea level. My plug is a little more sooty than I would like, but I have a nasty habit of leaving too much oil on my air filters...possibly restricting airflow a bit. Bike runs great though, 700 miles and valves have not moved.