Sign in to follow this  

Cracked engine case

well i just got a new 04 rmz 250 and layed it down one day pissin around at the neighbours and some how it put a little bit of a dent in the clutch cover right infront of the kickstarter, it didnt leak but when i put the new exhaust and side panel on and kicked it over and got it runnin, then came back in and did some jetting and then kicked it over 2 more times, started up and then started spueing out oil. so i shut it down and had a look and somehow the dent in the clutch cover put some extra force on the inner clutch cover near the kicker and when i kicked it over it put two cracks in the inner cover. i ordered all the parts and have it all apart and should have it done by thursday because i am goin to mosport on saturday! but i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem yet with the RMZ.

yup, had the same exact problem.They had a problem,but won.t admit it.Had taken pics but lost them.You probably had 2 buy both cases?About 600$,some supposed hop up shop did ours.Bill was 1500.00Good luck...

yup, had the same exact problem.They had a problem,but won.t admit it.Had taken pics but lost them.You probably had 2 buy both cases?About 600$,some supposed hop up shop did ours.Bill was 1500.00Good luck...

You dumped it and put a dent in the clutch cover, thus putting pressure on the inner clutch cover creating stress and finally creating a crack & leak just like RMZdevo and it is Suzuki's fault how????

I have worked on a ton of these and have only seen one cracked case in this area and it was due to improper kicking of the bike.

Well good to know im not the only one lol, but ya i work at a bike shop so i get all my parts on a deal and do all the work myself so it is a lot cheaper, i think the inner cover was $120, clutch cover was $85 and all the seals and gaskets will be around $50

well cycle pop,i personally had it happen to one of our 2004's.The kick start nut gear came loose, which coincides with clutch.Correct?And it has happened b-4 on this web site. Just research some more on here and your doubts will be answered.

I think what Cyclepop was saying was the reason the case broke was because he fell and "dented" it, not because of a design defect. I don't know if it is a design defect or not-we haven't had any problem with ours. Where is the Central Republic of Africa? I've never heard of that. (I'm serious too-is that a real country?) Thanks!

The kick start nut gear came loose, which coincides with clutch.Correct?QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I was saying. There were other factors other than a "design flaw" Thanks pinnedalltheway. His problem arised from a dent and spill, yours from a loose kick starter bolt. Like I said I have seen this issue, but it was other factors that contributed to it. All these bikes have very little tolerance in many areas, it is the little things that bite you in the butt.

My suggestion and giving this from the "school of hard knocks", is to check all bolts on the motor frequently. Locktite what you can, I actually had every bolt on the clutch side case vibrate loose after one moto. Luckily we saw the oil leaking before the next moto, and were able to tighten and get oil back into the bike or KAABOOOM!

Check on price of parts from a Kawasaki dealer.. 2004 and 2005 KXF250's use the same parts... They are usually cheaper.