Sign in to follow this  

CRF150 Handling and Stability

Hi All,

Two of my boys share an 05 150F. Its simply horrendous in sandy terrain as far as stability and handling goes. I'm not expecting it to be like my 450R is but some of you out there must have found ways to make it better than it is stock (without spending a ton of money). My boys are 110 and 130 lbs and don't ride the bike real fast yet.

I'm ready to get rid of it and get something better handling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well, I will admit, the 150 is a whale on a beach. That's a good question though. I just pin it, sit way back and close my eyes. That seems to work.

As for mods to fix that, however, other than tires, I don't know of any. I'd say a 1/4" throttle pull would be the only thing I could think of. It's sort of a joke, but I'm serious. When I'm in sand, I pin it and lean back. That's the rule I've always been told.

Anybody out there have a better suggestion? I truly don't think there is a mod to fix this problem. I think weight back and speed are the only things that will fix the problem. Am I wrong?

It just takes skill and time riding. If you ride in the sand quite often you will get used to it

To get you in and out of the sandy corners, get stiffer springs and thicker oil, front and back. I used race tech springs, and Bel Ray 20wt fork oil. It was a good, cheap fix. If you can't afford springs, cut the stock ones down and put inserts in. This will make the springs a but stiffer. This is our play bike, so we didn't wanna spend too much money on it.

Our sandy motocross track ate up the all 7" or whatever of the fork travel as soon as I slam it into the corner. And when your forks don't come back, you wallow and lose speed. Tight, hard cornering sucked until we did this mod.

Also...you need to mount 756's front and rear. It's amazing what good tire can do for this bike.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I think I'll try a 756 up front as I found a huge difference in the handling on my 450R when I put one on it. I never thought a tire could make such a difference in handling but it did so I'll try a 756 on my kids 150 as well.

Lower the front forks in the tripleclamp. Better yet, get a BBR top clamp and lower them even more. You want "stability" when riding in the sand and by lowering your forks you increase the wheelbase, making the bike more stable.

Dunlop 756's are great intermediate terrain tires, but, if you only ride in sand then get the Dunlop 755's. 755's were develpoed for the sand or soft terrain and flat out work awesome.