Sign in to follow this  

TE510 Dirt to street or vice versa?

Gents!

I've got a TE510 (st legal) on my wish list for October and I want yo use it for both dirt and street.

Would it be better to by the knobby version and then get the rims/hubs/tires to make it into an SMR or...

Buy the SMR and get a set of rims/hub/tires to do dirt/dualsport?!?

I see that the SMR is lower slightly and has that huge front rotor. That will not work for off-road and might be the deciding factor.

What else am I missing???

thanks in advance!

i too was in the exact same situation. i finally decided to go with the TE and get SM wheels for it. the only reason for me was, i ride off road more and didn't want to give up any suspension travel out in the desert! (the SMR has less travel and with the 17" wheels gets the lower seat height!) also, i'm shorter than average (5'7") but i've always adapted to 37" seat height bikes and figured the drop in seat height i'd get from SM wheels should be enough for ME on the street. i'm not sure about yourself, but if it were to come down to seat height an SMR with standard 18 & 21" offroad wheels, will still be lower than a stock TE because of the slightly shorter suspension!! :thumbsup::ride:

Both bikes are the same but the rotor and wheels, the suspension is the same but it is set up stiffer, so for a big guy like me the smr works well for both street and dirt but I ride mostly street, if you ride alot of dirt then get the TE and don't spend the money on 17" wheels just get street tires for your factory wheels that will make a big difference and you will save a lot of money!

Have fun there all great bikes!! :thumbsup:

Both bikes are the same but the rotor and wheels, the suspension is the same but it is set up stiffer, so for a big guy like me the smr works well for both street and dirt but I ride mostly street, if you ride alot of dirt then get the TE and don't spend the money on 17" wheels just get street tires for your factory wheels that will make a big difference and you will save a lot of money!

Have fun there all great bikes!! :thumbsup:

then why do the husky spec sheets give different lengths of travel if one is just "stiffer" than the other??

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/pdfs/06_TE510.pdf .. shows 11.8" front and 12.6" rear travel for the TE

&

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/pdfs/06_SMR510.pdf .. shows 9.84" front and 11.42" rear travel for the SMR.

Depends on how serious you are off road! Where I get my servicing done they built a set of wheels for a guy with an SMR, he uses the standard smr brakes etc and has never had a problem. Now this bikes gets used a lot every weekend in the bush or street, he has even done a long desert trip as well. If your going to race it on the dirt get the TE if not, think about it. The other thing to consider is the cost of buying a 4 piston brembo set up for a motard versus just a disc for your off road wheels.

I use my smr off road (not in the height of winter)with road wheels and have never had a problem! with it being low. I do have a good bash plate though. :thumbsup:

I have the TE and picked up the SM wheelset.

I like the TE version too much off road, and the SM wheels laced to stock TE front hub and rotor work just great on the street for me.

I just pulled the street set off this morning to play hookey from work and go riding today.

In either mode, it's a barrel of monkeys.

paul

sorry I was told that they were the same I was wrong it looks like.

I still think the TE would be better in your style of riding the SMR has plenty of travel for me but like I said I ride mostly street.

Have fun.

sorry I was told that they were the same I was wrong it looks like.

I still think the TE would be better in your style of riding the SMR has plenty of travel for me but like I said I ride mostly street.

Have fun.

hey, no need to apologize jacob! :thumbsup: i wasn't tryin' to call you out. i just thought you knew something i hadn't heard yet. anyway i guess the shorter SMR suspension would explain the difference in travel!?!? :ride::applause::applause::applause:

I asked the dealer the same question and he pointed out that the forks are different and I think he said that the smr has a wider trippleclamp. Its a shame that they don't make a bike that can be switched back and forth.

the next best option is the KTM EXC that in o7 will be street legal, then purchase the SM kit for $1500.oo (including slicks). and your good to go. :thumbsup:

I asked the dealer the same question and he pointed out that the forks are different and I think he said that the smr has a wider trippleclamp. Its a shame that they don't make a bike that can be switched back and forth.

the next best option is the KTM EXC that in o7 will be street legal, then purchase the SM kit for $1500.oo (including slicks). and your good to go. :thumbsup:

The SM used to have wider clamps than the TE, and you had to get the SM clamps to put the SM wheelset on your TE. They are the same size in '06. You can swap back and forth just by pulling the wheels if you elect to stay with the TE rotor.

paul