Sign in to follow this  

"Foresthill Road Tour" - Signs on Foresthill Rd

I took a long dual sport ride from the house this past Saturday, Yankee Jim's to Foresthill Road and on up to the base of Soda Springs Road. I started worrying about having enough gas to make it back down to Foresthill so I didn't try any of the side roads/trails but I saw tons of stuff to explore in there.

In particular, there were brown signs that said "Foresthill Road Tour" and many of them looked like they marked trailheads to dirt roads or trails. Does anyone know what these signs signify? Can you basically just jump off the pavement and head in on any of those dirt roads/trails?

dpop, I was the guy that waved ya by- the EXC & Kawi in the the back... :thumbsup:

Stay in tune with the California forum, lots of up-coming rides posted, both trail & DS. After awhile you'll get to know the area..

As far as DS'n the Foresthill area is concerned, Sure! Go for it!!

We DS them hills, and to the north & south too.

Just don't cross any private property/keep out signs..

Hey tirebiter,

Yup, that was me on my black 525 EXC - I was admiring your EXC in the back of the truck! I stage out of Sugar Pine and ride the trails there at Foresthill quite a bit, but I haven't done a lot of DS'ing yet. I'm getting some miles in on the EXC, exploring the area in preparation for my 640 LC4e getting back on the road - that's going to be my heavy miles DS machine but I won't have it rebuilt for maybe another month or so.

Next time I'm thinking I'll stage out of China Wall and DS that area with a full tank of gas. Do those side trails show up on any maps or possibly some GPX files to dump on the Garmin?

Your best bet for a good map of the area is to stop at the ranger station in FH and get a "National Geograpic" map of the Tahoe Ntl. forest. Much better detail than the standard USFS map. Scan the area desired into your computer, hit file & set page set-up on landscape, NO. of pages on 2x2, then save, then print. Give ya a big ass map that old eyes can read, and it'll fit perfectly into one of these suckers...

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/bp3.html

Been using one for 4 years now, lifesaver.

I took a long dual sport ride from the house this past Saturday, Yankee Jim's to Foresthill Road and on up to the base of Soda Springs Road. I started worrying about having enough gas to make it back down to Foresthill so I didn't try any of the side roads/trails but I saw tons of stuff to explore in there.

In particular, there were brown signs that said "Foresthill Road Tour" and many of them looked like they marked trailheads to dirt roads or trails. Does anyone know what these signs signify? Can you basically just jump off the pavement and head in on any of those dirt roads/trails?

Dpop24,

Next time through there, stop at the ranger station. They have a flier about the road tour. I picked one up when my son and I road F.H. two weeks ago. The tour is a Auto/hiking tour. It points out a lot of historical spots and points of interest along the Forest Hill Divide. As for riding the trails and dirt roads, if it isn't posted you should be able to ride them with a dual sport. Get out there and explore. Let us know what you find. Kevin

when anyone wants a DS ride out there, let me know, I have a few detours for ya with historical mining sites. I'll get private property owners permission if I have 2-3 weeks notice, there is one mine out by Michigan Bluff that has fantastic views.......