Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel question

I put a trail tech endurance computer on my 2004 WR450. It works great and I really like having the info it provides. I like to check my average speed and max speed after a ride and here's my question; can anyone think of any way that you could get a higher max speed reading than that actually attained while riding? The reason I ask this is I competed in a race a couple of weeks ago and after the race I checked my max speed and the computer said it was 144.4 km/h. What! I saw that and thought it's gotta be a mistake.

I didn't remember going that fast. So a couple days later I took the bike out to a long strait and held 'er WFO. Top speed came back as 139.9. Hmmm...

So either I got a bogus reading during the race...or I was holding 'er WFO on a downhill, through the bush, wind at my back! I doubt it. For the life of me I can't think of how it could read faster than I was actually going. How could I turn the front wheel faster than I was riding? Any ideas? :thumbsup:

When you installed the pickup and magnet the magnet is not centered is it?? If it is it will ready funny like that, it is supposed to be to one side or the other. Centered the magnet will cause the pickup to "read" the magnet twice.

Check that and let us know what you find. :thumbsup:

No it's installed right, I've put 600km on it since installation and it's really accurate as far as the speedo and odo go. I've never even questioned it except when I saw it read 144km/h as max speed after the Gloomy Creek Harescramble. :thumbsup:

And I reset it at the starting line at the beginning of the race so all previous max speed data was deleted.

I've been on several rides since and it's definitely reading accurately. I'm convinced that either I went that

fast or some other way the front wheel turned that fast!