Sign in to follow this  

Labor Day Weekend, DS ride, LA to Troy Meadows

Hi,

I want to put the DRZ into adventure mode and do some exploring. I have 3-4 days. The plan is to leave the LA/Pasadena area early Friday or Saturday morning.

Day 1: DS route up to Troy Meadows or Fish Creek via Caliente-Bodfish, Kernville, Sherman Pass, hitting any dirt I can find between now and the ride. I may even start by climbing Rincon Shortcut out of Hwy 39 in Azusa. Camp at either Troy Meadows or Fish Creek.

Day 2: I don't know, I'll figure it out. I'm up for any mix of OHV trails or forest roads.

Day 3: Any dirt we feel like doing down to 395, then slab home.

My schedule is flexible and I'm up for any combination of 3-4 days, Friday thru Monday. Gas is the only limiter but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Post here or PM me if interested.

Hi,

I've gotten a few pings from AdvRider.com and the plan continues to evolve. Here is where I'm at now:

Day 1: 7am breakfast at Dish, near Foothill and the 2. Gas up at Jay's Shell and wheels rolling at 8am. ACH to Angeles Forest to Palmdale to the 14. Then Jawbone, Piute Mtn Road to Caliente Bodfish to gas up, late lunch/early dinner in Kernville. Continue north then east on Sherman Pass. Hit gas along the way if we see it. Make our way to either Fish Creek, Troy Meadows, or Monache Meadows. Since this is a holiday weekend I prefer to be where people ain't and I don't need a toilet or running water. Have water filter, soap, and a creek, will travel.

Day 2: ride, ride, ride. We'll figure it out and it sounds like we'll have people up there who will know where to go.

Day 3: Head east via dirt to 395 and slab home. Plenty of time get recommended routes.

Only limitation is gas. I'm not sure how many miles we will cover between Kernville/last gas and making it out of the mountains to the east but I'm sure we can scrounge a few gallons on a crowded holiday weekend.

I'll bump the thread from time to time with .gpx files and suggestions for routes, etc.

There "was" a gas station up near Kennedy Meadows.Last time a rode thru there it didn't appear to be open.If it's not,the two nearest places are KernVille and Pearson Ville(395).

I will be at Fish Creek or Troy overflow with the family and bikes from Fri thru Mon of labor day. I would be glad to bring an extra 5 gall gas can for you guys. I am big time dual sport so I would love to contribute to the cause. e mail me directly a few day prior at pbalzer@coffeebean.com..thanks Paul B

ps Kennedy is a ways a wild card on gas the sure thing is Kernville and then the Shell at the bottom of 9 Mile canyon on 395.

Hey thumpdog. I haven't been to k/m since I was a kid and was thinking of taking my kid's there over labor day. How crowded do you think it will be and what type of weather? Since it's been soooo long and I'm not exactly sure how to get there, my wife even suggested that I take my street bike to check it out. I'd love to do the dual sport ride w/rstrauss and co. but it's a 650 vstrom and while some consider it a d/s I've only taken it down a few dirt roads. I wouldn't dare take it on stuff I go on with my wr450!

If your up to it, me and 4 other TT'rs will be at dove springs sat - mon. it's just south of the 178 on your way out of the mountains torwards the 14 fwy.