Sign in to follow this  

OK, I jumped in and bought a CRF250X

Call me crazy but I decided to give it a go. got tired of not having to do any maintenance on my XR400.

Now that I have this, I need to get a few things.

I need a mount for my SCOTTS stabilizer. ANYONE GOT A MOUNT FOR SALE ?

Also looking at a z-start clutch and perch adapter. ANYONE GOT ONE FOR SALE ?

How about the wiring for a Trailtech Endurace trip computer ?

Are we running synthetic oil or trans oil ?

Is there a snorkel I can take out ?

Jet recommendation when I go to Colorado and ride at 9000-12000 feet ?

And what in the world does the pink wire mod do for me ?? :thumbsup:

i use hp trans oil sae 80w/85w from honda just put a quart in and it works pretty good. for the motor oil just use pennzoil or some other brand similar to it and use the weight the manual recomends for your temperatures, can't help you with any of the other stuff though except DO NOT DO THE PINK WIRE MOD it causes pre mature valve wear i've heard of tons of people having problems with it so i never did it. what it does is raise the rev-limiter.

youll like it . might miss a little power from your XR my buddy in az rides a 400

tried my bike and gave it right back.just takes getting used too.he probably

missed the weight factor. maintenance is not a big deal,but these bikes are'nt

anti maint like the XR's.change oils and clean filters not a big deal, learn how to check valves and save money. thank god i have a friend who does my valves. i unplugged my pink wire wondering if i should of but i dont ride on the limiter anyway. i have 4 bikes to up keep so i don't want a bunch of different

oils to buy i use 10-40 dino in everything. the jetting section in the top will help you just look for your alltitude most of the time at different allts i can get by with fuel/air screw adjusts i ride at sea level to about 5-7

RIDE HARD HAVE FUN BE SAFE!

oil, run rotella t 15-40 in the white bottle. its dino oil and its the best. Rotella t also makes a 80-85 tranny oil but you can just do what all the big boys do and run rotella t in both sides

i use hp trans oil sae 80w/85w from honda just put a quart in and it works pretty good. for the motor oil just use pennzoil or some other brand similar to it and use the weight the manual recomends for your temperatures, can't help you with any of the other stuff though except DO NOT DO THE PINK WIRE MOD it causes pre mature valve wear i've heard of tons of people having problems with it so i never did it. what it does is raise the rev-limiter.

Full quart?????? Are you guys really putting in a full quart? Manual says .7 quart. Surprised you havne't blown the seals.

Pink wire mod does not cause pre mature valve wear. Using regular pennzoil might tho :thumbsup:

14/53 sprockets are what I have on there now. Do most people change those to a different combination ? Or stay with that ?

Yup. A full quart. The trans design doesn't provide adequate oiling of all gears when only using .7 qt. The 450X owners have discovered that running a full quart alleviates this issue. 450X trans will lock up 5th gear when running flat out. Since the trannys are of similar design, most of us 250x owners have followed suit. Since they are not under pressure and there is plenty of room in there, blowing seals is not an issue.

The pink wire mod is like religion. Some believe, some don't. I feel that over-reving will cause valve float and will lead to valve failure.

First I have heard of this. I have heard of a guy putting a full quart in his 450R and blowing the seal.....unless the guy that told me was misinformed. Why would they tell you to only put .7 quarts in if it takes a full quart?

Right..over revving will cause valve float....pink wire mod will not :thumbsup:

On the maintenance side of things...

I do enjoy the ruggedness of the XR's, but I've been beating my CRF for 2 years now, and not one issue. The key (I've been told by mechanics) is my relentless attention to changing air filters (about every 3rd ride) and changing the oil every 150 miles. Valves are perfect, runs great. I love these bikes.

I took it out for my first short ride today just to see how it felt. At 45, this thing may have too much jump for me to ride all the time. My first thought was that my XR400 will be used for "exploring" and this one will be used when I know where I am going and want to get there quick.

On the disappointing side, there is a terrible. just off idle bog. I had that on the XR400 and cured it with a pumper carb. If everything else is stock (I will probably take off the snorkel pretty quick), does anyone have a jetting recomendation to get rid of that bog ?

If jetting doesn't cure your bog, either a PowerNow adaptor or Boysen Quickshot seem to be a route that lots of CRF owners have taken.

I was lucky and my bike was jetted really good from the factory, never popped, bogged or otherwise gave me any trouble other than being a little cold natured like any 4 stroke can be.

Scott, the surest way to cure the bog is to buy the JD Jetting kit, while you are at it be sure you have a 42 pilot and install a t handle fuel screw. Everything together should cost under 100.00 and your bike will rip! Get this thing dialed in and you wont want to look at the old XR4 again :thumbsup:

I went from an xr400 to a 04 crfx250 as well. My crf also came with the terrible bog and I was dissapointed too. Then I ordered the JD Jetting Kit and threw on a pipe and header and the little sucker RIPS. I'm a 45 year old dude too and probably don't beat on it as bad as a lot of others. But I've had no probs with it- I am a nut about the oil changes and keeping a clean air filter. I sold the XR shortly thereafter. And I loved the XR. No regrets.

his bike is most likely already jetted yes the jd kit and starting from scartch

will work but maybe its just a tweek of the air screw and you dont have to go through with all that extra work. on my 06 X i jetted, still had bog,

removed smog pump still had bog small but still there add quick shot got bad

bog tweek air screw change clip position tweek air screw bog gone.

there is a lot of mixed feelings on that Q-S read a search on it sometime.

i wondered if all that i ever needed to do was tweek the air screw i ended up at about 1 turn out.

You are technically correct. The pink wire mod will not cause valve float. It will cause the rider to over rev the engine and that causes valve float.

Do a search on the 450X forum. There are many threads concerning tranny levels and lockup.

Any 250X's locking up?

I'll split hairs LOL...technically the pink wire mod does not cause the rider to over rev the rider over revs on his own because he wants to, doesn't know not to, and/or doesn't care what happens if he does :ride::thumbsup:

how much trans oil

another thread

bought the extended fuel screw. The stock one was THREE + turns out. I took it out and put in the long one. Started at 2 turns out and the bog is gone. !!!

his bike is most likely already jetted yes the jd kit and starting from scartch

will work but maybe its just a tweek of the air screw and you dont have to go through with all that extra work. on my 06 X i jetted, still had bog,

removed smog pump still had bog small but still there add quick shot got bad

bog tweek air screw change clip position tweek air screw bog gone.

there is a lot of mixed feelings on that Q-S read a search on it sometime.

i wondered if all that i ever needed to do was tweek the air screw i ended up at about 1 turn out.

there ya have it.