Sign in to follow this  

How are doubles measured?

I have been reading several things in Thumpertalk.

Some say a 30 foot double is small.

Some say a 180 foot double is jumped riding it on fourth gear.

Well there`s a 21 foot gap double i like to clear on third speed. I have been told to clear it in second gear but i feel pretty much safer this way.

Therès this 45 foot long tabletoop, i`m just measuring the lenght of the table from the tip of the launch to the tip of where youre supposed to land. And i have only cleared it once but i was 3/4 on 4th gear.

I ride on a cr 250. Am i doing things wrong, riding on higher gears than what i should, or am i measuring the distance wrong?

What do you measure only the gap as i do. Or the whole distance of the ramps to?

What about ramp height?

There are doubles similar in gap lenght in the local track that feel way diferent because one launch is 9 feet tall and the other is barely 4 feet high.

The gap is the same are they equally long doubles?

Sorry for such a naive question but i`m intrigued. :thumbsup:

How are doubles measured?

Normally in cup sizes, but I find it innacurate so I go with the tried and true method of seeing how much I can fit in my mouth. :thumbsup:

:ride:

(Drum-roll)

mmmkay.

Now please give a warm hand to our next stand-up comedian wanna be

Alright then. Riddle me this. Is a 12 foot truck the same length as a 12 foot car? Or is it more than 12 feet long because it's taller?

ok well people that can do 180 in fourth gear are usually hitting freestyle ramps. 4 gear is fine as long as the bike is not bogging.It all matters on steepness of the lip, and runway.

At most of my local tracks I can easily clear every jump in 2nd gear on my ktm 250sx two stroke. Most jumps I can overshoot in 2nd. Some I clear fine in 1st but thats pretty sketchy. Some of the low flight long gap jumps that have a big run up to I will be in 3rd or 4th gear.

you measure from tip of the lip(takeoff) to the top of the landing. the 180 jump in 4th was probably freestyle like whats his name said. i can hit a metal kicker 55' in 2nd gear on a 250f not even pinned...