Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Mark do you have any advice against Bursitis problems?

I have been diagnosed with bursitis for several years now.

A long history of sports related injuries and constant hits and falls make them swell after any hit.

So a relatevely small or insignificant looking crash or get off puts me out of riding for 2 weeks at least untill the sweeling goes away. and it never seizes.

I dont like meds but i am often on desinflamatory pills because of my knees sweling up.

I wear regular knee pads. Fox Raptor`s.

I was thinking that a more cushioned one like the Pastrana`s made from EVS might work out for me.

I made another thread about popinions on EVS products because they seem the only ones that make cushioned looking knee pads.

Would you have any advice rewarding my problem.

Are we talking about swelling in the front of the knee? It would be good to take a picture of the knee from the side and post it.

I`m sorry that i cant post a picture, I dint have a digital camera. But i think it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

You see they dont look swollen up. They just feel that way.

When they are at their worst it gets pretty uncomfortable to bend your knees (just like it feels when you try bending a swollen knee and it feels as if it wouldn't stand the compression and explode) but this feeling decreases when they get bent, the swollen feeling remains and some numbness appears, but I can bend them all the way.

When the knee is at a relaxed position there`s a feeling of numbness in them. This last numbness feeling is all around the knee cap.

The numbness and swelling feeling doesn't stop until after a couple of weeks from a hard hit. But for example i can never get on my knees without experiencing pain even the best of the days.

I was told that there was no cure for this, and that i was going to experience this problem every time i had a hard hit on them or even if i stayed on my knees for a large period of time. I have been recomended total rest when the swelling happens and to stop any activities, which is pretty dificult for me to do.

I feel uncomfortable disturbing you Dr. Mark with my issue but i just love riding and i would apreciate your opinion on how to be able to continue riding for a long ride minimizing long term knee damages.

What`s your opinion on knee protection for MX for my issue. Would the cushy knee pads help me out a bit?

Dont think i dont take care of my knees. I try to eat healthy and get lots of calcium, stretch and i follow a weight program at the gym because i think that maybe my knees would feel swollen less often if they were stronger.

I dont work out the legs when my knees feel swollen as they do right now. Would they recover better if i did do weights at the gym?

I am doing just 4 leg exercises (3 -10 reps with just a little bit of weight.)

I had one bursitis above the knee (from falling) and one on each achilles tendon (from running with shoes that were not broken in).

In the first case it was blunt force on the knee cap and I applied cold on it for a week then patiently waiting for it to recede. I tried to massage it with all sorts of creams and it only worsened.

It took about 6 months for the pain to disappear fully and 6 more months for the swelling to disappear. The areas seem to be softer and more prone to injury, which is why I wear good knee protection and cut the back of my running and gym shoes to relieve the pressure.

In many cases (at least my cases) only time can heal a bursitis.

Absent a picture, I couldn't say if you have busitis or not.

I have gotten it despite wearing a protective clamshell over the knee cap.

Now I wear a neoprene sleeve over my knee. I bought them in Walgreens for 12 dollars each. Over that I wear my shin guards which have a clam shell over the patella to protect against penetrating injury.