Sign in to follow this  

Will only run with choke on

My TTR 125L sat for couple months. I took it out to run a while and it was difficult to start. Now it starts easily but only runs with the choke on even when warmed up. I tried blowing air through the gas tank vent tube and got gas out the carb drain tube but it would not run any better. It doesn't bog with the choke on. Also, it ran great the last time out.

Thanks,

Joe

You need to blow out the slow speed jet, it is plugged from sitting with gas in the carb. I've been draining my carb after every ride, the gas these days is very bad and doesn't last long in the small jet passages. mike

Clean out the pilot jet...

It almost always clogs up first in these bikes. Go ahead and give the whole carb a good cleaning out when you have it off. If the pilot is clogged, other jets or passages probably are too.

Its not a bad idea to dump the tank and put fresh gas in it either.

Just follow the sticky above on jetting and airbox for the TTR125. Everything you need to do is in there, just don't change the jets only clean them out with carb cleaner and put them back in.

Ovvrdrive pretty much covered it. Make sure you clean your whole carburetor. very well. Definitely make sure you clean off the choke plunger, and the choke whole. They tend to seize if not cleaned periodically.