Sign in to follow this  

WR250f or YZ250f

i am looking at getting a new bike, and i am looking at a either a wr250f or a yz250f. i do alot more trail riding than track but occasionally will ride tracks. i hear that the wr is almost the same bike as the yz. i like the wr b/c is has the headlight and tailight and i really like the new digital speedometer on it. so im just lookin for some suggestions to which one i would need.

thanks,

trever

I just bought a wr250f.. went to that from a WR450 F... amazing in the woods,,, light, quick as shit in the corners,, a true joy to pilot...

as far as the yz vs. wr,, hmm,, does the yz have a starter..? Lot to be said about pushing a button when stuck on the side of a hill or a muddy,, gooey stream bed 40 miles into a 90 mile enduro...

biggest difference is the following: heavier flywheels for woods riding

different gears ratio's,, Wider.. hence WR

cams / jetting different

All in all, i have ridden both, for the single track mudd riders like myself,, the WR works for me... :thumbsup:

If you are ever going to hit the track I would strongly suggest that you get the YZ250F instead. The YZ will be lighter and have more horsepower. Just put on a flywheel weight and get your suspension set up and your YZ will be worlds faster than a WR on the track or trail.

if you ride trails alot more than tracks then get the WR. I know some people are gonna say get the yz but for what you are planning on the doing the wr would proboly be your best bet.

I ride a WR, and it's only about 1 ride out of 10 that I wish I was on the YZ. That's usually short lived though. I've been on the start line with plenty of MX bikes, and never felt like my bike held me back in the race to the first turn.

Pick the transmission you like best - if you ride in a more narrow speed range the yz may be great but for both slow & fast stuff without changing sprockets the wr might be better. estart?

well just for trail riding the wr is the way to go. but if you want to race trails like harescrambles or something similar the yz is the way to go

i am looking at getting a new bike, and i am looking at a either a wr250f or a yz250f. i do alot more trail riding than track but occasionally will ride tracks. i hear that the wr is almost the same bike as the yz. i like the wr b/c is has the headlight and tailight and i really like the new digital speedometer on it. so im just lookin for some suggestions to which one i would need.

thanks,

trever

Once the WR is uncorked, all you really need to be as fast as a YZ is a race pipe. I'd look at buying the WR, uncorking it, and then using the race pipe on the track. Switch back to the stock pipe when on the trails. Less sound=more ground

trever01,

I'm just letting you know my experience, and not meaning to pick a fight with a bunch of WR owners. I had a 2005 WR 250, and it was the single most unimpressive bike I have ever owned. I owned over a dozen dirt bikes when I was younger, but with 20 years since my last dirt bike I did not want to get something that was too much for me, so I picked the WR 250 for my first bike in 2005. Oh my god that bike was gutless. I did not cut the rev limiter wire, or change to the YZ throttle stop, or change the exhaust. Although I'm sure that would have helped alot, I figured that I had undershot what I wanted by so far that there was no point. And I will never again buy a bike from a dealer that does not allow at least brief test rides, even if just in the parking lot. I sold the WR 250 and bought a KTM 525, which had a satisfactory amount of power. I should have known not to go from a CR 500 to a WR 250, even if it had been 20 years since I rode the CR. I just figured the bikes must have gotten faster in 20 years. :thumbsup:

I would not recommend the WR 250 unless you either want a very timid motorcycle, or you want to make mods to it to bring it up to YZ specs in the power department. And now that I own a YZ 450F, I would say it would be much easier to trail ride a YZ 250F than it would ever be to try to compete on a track with an unmodded WR 250F.

Do your research, and ride both bikes before buying. Good luck.

3TV

I'd get WR if u r riding more woods!! You can always make wr more like YZ!! But it would be hard to make WR like YZ. So there is something to think about! Here is my 2004 WR 250f!! garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=19393:thumbsup:

I own a 2002 wr250 and i meet some yz250F on the trails and there bike have nothing comparing to mine. i love the bike good for long runs and the headlight is the best to have at night....you never know what u think u might of saw at night without a headlight....Beat thing i can tell u is to buy the wr

It depends exactly how much jumping you wanna do. A WR isnt going to be able to handle big jumps on a MX track.

You dont live in California, so you dont have to worry about all that "green sticker/red sticker" BS, so Id personally go for a YZ. The first try you try to launch of a 40' jump on a WR you will wish you had bought a YZ.

Its a lot easier to make a YZ into a decent trail bike than it is to make a WR into a competent MX bike.

.... I had a 2005 WR 250, and it was the single most unimpressive bike I have ever owned. ... Oh my god that bike was gutless. I did not cut the rev limiter wire, or change to the YZ throttle stop, or change the exhaust. ...3TV

I was disappointed inmy WR also. The throttle stop only gives you about 3/4 throttle!!! , any bike will feel gutless if you only open the throttle 3/4. Once I realized that and fixed it I became VERY happy with my WR. The throttle stop mod is an ABSOLUTE MUST