Sign in to follow this  

Broken back

What's up. Just though I would drop a quick word. About 3 weeks ago I had a serious crash. I hit a double-double got out of shape, pinned it through a whoop section and launched it off a large jump pinned in 4th gear.

I'm no rookie. I've been racing for 30 years. I race Vet expert and can hold my own against anyone my age.

So I spent 10 days in the hospital with a broken back. Actually my back is broken in 3 places and the most serious is a CHANCE Fracture of T12. These are very unstable because they go through the entire vertebra horizontally.

Everything is looking up. I only missed a few weeks of work. It's hard to keep me down, even when my doc says I should stay down. I'm not looking for sympathy or money, I'm just pissed because I cant race anymore. Too dangerous and my wife cant take it anymore. I love motocross but I LOVE my wife and after 16 years of marriage I have to choose. She says she cant take the phone calls anymore. I don't blame her. I'll still check out the web sites and go to the races, but it wont be the same. Be careful!!!!

I feel for ya man. I have a similar story. 8 weeks ago I high sided in a rough sweeper and woke up on a back board. Broke the T6 and 4 ribs. I'm 45 and have been riding all my life. This weekend being the 8th week I plan to ride. Hang in there after 3 weeks things start to look better. :thumbsup:

Scary stuff. It's easy to forget that we all take these risks every time we get on the bike. It doesn't matter how good you are, you're still rolling the dice.

I wish the best for you, a full and speedy recovery.

I broke seven bones in my back lats april. I broke t6 t7 t8 and others. Im 17 so i healed up quick and allready throwing down motos :thumbsup:

She gave you the ultimatum huh. Still not a reason to sell your bike, just time to settle down. sounds like you were riding before you met her so she should have known what she was getting into. If she loves you as much as it sounds like you love her, then there should be some compromise. :ride: . Good luck and hang in there. :thumbsup:

like my man Tom Leykis says D.T.B! just kidding no disrespect

If you've been married 16yrs, then the better half knows your love of bikes, but at the same token, she has dealt with it for that long too. Do the compromise, stop racing, keep riding. :thumbsup:

She gave you the ultimatum huh. Still not a reason to sell your bike, just time to settle down. sounds like you were riding before you met her so she should have known what she was getting into. If she loves you as much as it sounds like you love her, then there should be some compromise. :ride: . Good luck and hang in there. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more,it is a little less painful to slow down.Heal up soon and :applause:

This must the the year for older guys (I'm 47) getting busted up. July 9th I high sided. Broke my R collar bone into five pieces, six ribs, cracked a vertebrate, bruised heart and kidney, Hopefully, I'll be returning to work Sept 5. I don't think I'm going to quit, but it sure as heck is going to slow me down. The last race of the year in my area is Oct 8 and I'm hoping to make that one. I figure as long as the guy in first doesn't come around and lap me, that will be just fine.

good luck man, good healing. Aggressive trail riding can be very challenging and rewarding. You don't have to stop riding, like others said compromise.

Good luck man. I know, it sucks not being able to ride.

I'm out with a broken foot. Going into surgery on Thursday with a 2 month recovery time.

Sorry to hear of your crash. I broke T10 and 11 about 5 years ago. They both look like wedges now instead of vertebra. I agree you don't have to stop riding, just keep it on the ground. Discover the joys of riding trail.

Wedges here too. T2, T3, and T10. Oh, and I've got some bling titanium forming the lower part of my left eye socket.

Crashing sucks at best and is life-changing (or taking) at worst...

If i were u i'd mod ur bike to an trail weapon (dif suspention and more low and mid range power) and do it that way... try to find some compromise with the Mrs. and hope for the best. But first, make sure ur all healed up. I messed up my ankle not super long ago, stayed off it for about an hour... still hurts 2 months later.

You guys are great, I hope that I will be able to ride, I cant imagine my life without motocross or dirt bikes. I also think or Ernie Fonseca and being in a wheel chair. That really sucks. I know in time my injuries will heal and in time my wife wont be so upset. I keep telling my son not to fix my bike, leave it all broken and dirty so she wont ask about selling it. If he fixes it up and cleans it and says "good as new" my wife will call the classifieds and try to sell it. I actually have three bikes for myself now, and I can always buy another. Oh well, thanks for the positive thoughts.

Doctor... sorry to hear of your crash, but happy to hear that you are healing. I bet its really hard to make your case to keep riding while you are lying there with a broken back.

At 41, I consider myself part of the "ride on sunday, go to work on monday" group. After breaking a wrist, a foot and a sprained ankle in the past year, I am obsessed with safety gear. I wear everything possible.

Maybe you can negotiate trail riding. I think of it as an obstacle course with many challenges. At least you'd get to ride? Or better yet, take up street bikes.

Or better yet, take up street bikes.

Don't think that would be better from a safety stand point but what do I know...

Oh yeah - Doctor - get your wife on a bike if you can, then trail ride? Just a thought....

At 41, I consider myself part of the "ride on sunday, go to work on monday" group. After breaking a wrist, a foot and a sprained ankle in the past year, I am obsessed with safety gear. I wear everything possible.

Broke my foot a couple years ago and sprained my knee really bad last year. My foot bone connected to my knee bone connected to my hip bone connected to my back muscles never been the same since. Now I always say a prayer before a ride asking God for a safe return. Then when I'm done riding for the day, I literally thank God for a great day riding. I was never much on religion. But, riding is so important to me now (at 39). It's like therapy. I need to do it. Getting hurt and not being able to ride anymore really freaks my out. I think that's why a started praying. I also learned to recognize the little devil in me that makes me do crazy things and pull on the throttle a little harder than I should. As soon as I realize the little devil is behind the controls, I take charge and slow down. I guess it's part of getting old. We either quit, or slow down (just for the record, I've never technically been really fast to begin with :thumbsup: ) but I wear every safety gear I got. Always.