Sign in to follow this  

18" tube on a 17" rim ?

From my understanding it is a problem. Too much tube in a small space will crease & possibly pinch. You can stretch a smaller tube over a larger rim but it's not advisable the other way round. I am no expert but i have done a fair share of wheels over the years.

Probably not a good idea. But I have done it before. Only on dirt bikes though. Put 19" tube in a 18" rim. Lasted a good long time to. I think for a DR it may be ok for a temp fix. But tires get heated up on the highway so that may lead to problems. I know several guys who have put 21" tubes in 17" rims in emergency situations. Got them where they needed to go, but changed ASAP.

It will probably also through your tire out of balance.

I don't see how it's going to crease, it fits just fine

Just put a new tire and tube on last night, I used a ultra heavy duty 110/100 18,

after putting a lil air in it and sticking it in the tire you'd never know it was not the correct tube

Ummm, why not get the correct tube :thumbsup: An emergency?

Ummmm? Lets see you find a place other than Dual Star that carries a 17" ultra heavy duty tube or just a heavy duty tube for that matter :thumbsup:

When trail riding i only carry a 21" tube as it fits the front , even if i get a flat in the rear i still use the 21" tube in my 18" rear wheel, Its best to use a bigger tube in a smaller wheel if you have to rather than a smaller tube in a bigger wheel (it wont fit or will snap using smaller in bigger) , Yeh it will work but it is best to use the correct size.

WoW

$22 for dualstars tube

I paid almost half that for a MSR Ultra-HD tube