Sign in to follow this  

offroad bike title

Do off road bikes come with a title, I'm confused I called about an 650R and they only have a bill of sale, another one I checked into has a country of origin title, but from a dealer in a different state. Is the country of origin title the title that comes with an offroad bike. In other words when you go to a dealer and buy an offroad bike do you get a title with it in your name and then when you go and sell it do you take it to a notary and transfer it over to buyer.(Just like a street legal bike or car) I need the title so I can plate the bike if I decide to buy one in the future.

It works exactly like a car. You get the pink slip / title from the state in the mail, not from the dealer. If it is a private sale they should have a clear title if it is not financed, if they don't - run away.

if you are buying the bike new, the dealer should be able to register it for you right there and then. if it is used, you need a bill of sale, as well as a certificate of origin. thats how i plated my cr125 in ny.

Sorry to sound dumb, :thumbsup: but the certificate of origin is what the seller would sign over to me at a notary and i would then pay my state's sales tax, then I would receive my own title in mail? (Just like a car or street legal bike) Is a certificate of origin just another name for a title?

I have NO idea how it works in NY, or PA for that matter but in CA if something has never been registered before - ever - then the "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" aka MSO is what the DMV needs to register it, then you pay local taxes if any. Usually you take the receipt to the DMV to show how much you have already paid in taxes. After that first time being registered it then has a "Title" or "pink slip" just like a car. This is what happens when you buy a Harbor Freight trailer as one example - you pay sales tax at HF then in one of the boxes the trailer came in is the MSO which you take to DMV along with the reciept that shows you paid tax to HF.

In CA it is just like a car, boat, trailer, etc. If you sell something to a person accept the $ at the same time you sign the back of the title that you are releasing your interest in the item. Then you get the send in a "release of liability" stating you sold whatever you sold and how much you sold it for. And possibly a bill of sale that states how much the person that bought the item paid for it signed by the seller so they know how much to charge the person buy the item for taxes.

I never worried about the dealer - they do all the paperwork, accept your $$$ for the item being purchased + taxes for where you live, and registration fees then the plates/stickers show up with a title in your name only unless there is a loan in which case the finance company is on the title too.

If you are nervous about a dealer for any reason do not do business there.

It will vary from state to state. But all new bikes/vehicles come with (its called different things) an COR or "certificate of origin" and also its sometimes called MSO or "manufactures statement of origin" and this will have the VIN, along with what its intended for, scale weight, model year, model number etc. You will need this and a sales slip showing where it was bought. If its used, there is places on the back for each owner to sign, and to get it notorized with a stamp. This is all you need to get a title. But if you bought it used, you still need the sales slip from the original buyer.

Thanks for the help one last thing, if the original owner has the CO and bill of sale and paid sales tax on it, then when I get the CO and it's signed over to me and his bill of sale is in my possession will I pay any taxes? I would think when I go to register the bike to get a title I would have to pay some tax on what I paid for the bike. :thumbsup: (You know the saying death and taxes)