Sign in to follow this  

07 KTM 250 XC questions

Ok I have some real stupid questions that I have waited 3 days to post,

Question #1 Where is the hot start on my new 250 XCF, the owners manual shows it up by the clutch lever, I have looked on the side of the carb and it looks like it doesn't have/need it.

Question #2 The chain guard mounted by the rear tire, can I remove it? I know that the linkless rear suspension needs more chain play but is it really needed? I like to remove any unneeded items for easier cleaning/maintenance.

Question #3 The guard that runs over the front sprocket, does it hold mud and plug up like other bikes (all jap) or clean out, it has a lot less coverage compared to those ones that cause more damage than good. Its part of those great frame savors, but I could cut it off if it plugs with mud.

Question #4 Why did KTM build this bike so well? Don't they want to buy a new bike every 6-12 months? Bearings on the rear brake lever? Nice thick/strong engine cases with real motor mount bolts that are the right size? An air filter you can service without dirt falling down inside the intake track to eat up titanium valves? Speedo/hour/2 trip/2 speed avg/odometer/who knows what else meters? Painted hubs made to clean off easily? Almost no bolts holding on body items, yet nothing is loose/falling off? Just tried to hit some of the usual out of the ordinary items.

#1 no hot start

#2 I would leav it on.

#3 preference

#4 Titanium valves? Stainless I think, They build good bikes because of word of mouth and because you'll come back and buy another even if you don't need it...

1: No hot start, no need for one, that is all a matter of having the carb right in the first place

2:The plastic chain gaurd prevents dirt, mud etc that comes around with the tire from going thru the chain & sprockets. Thus it keeps those parts alive and if you slop in the mud will help you finish a long ride! 250 does not have an Oring chain as they suck HP and 250's have little to spare so that gaurd will help!!

4: Ti but good quality Ti, should be good for a year or so.

Thanks for the input, last question was a joke because of the simple things KTM does that make the owning experience a long lasting one, I can see riding this bike 2 years without doing any big $$$ maintenance.