Sign in to follow this  

Is it too big?

My buddy is still thinking about getting a 250, it is his first "real" bike. He is looking at 125's and 250's. He is pretty set on spending no more than $2000 on a bike and he wants it too last him a while. He is looking for a bike from 2000-2003. These are the years in his price range. He himself is 5'5 and 130 pounds. He likes the power on my kdx220 which is fairly modded with a VF2 reed cage, new top end, and an fmf pipe and silencer. These are pretty much the only engine mods besides opening the air box a bit more. So basically he is not sure if a 250 would be much more power than that. Basically he will be racing in our trails against me and my other friend on his 400ex. My bike is pretty quick and i have the suspension set up with kx forks so my buddy is trying to get a bike that will work well for him. As far as our trails there is a bit of mud, alot of straights a touch of sand, a few hills, 2 steep hills a good amout of turns and whoops. The track is a single track and we do time trials. It is just short of a 1 mile woods track. he has found a few bikes he likes but he really wants a yamaha but is open to anything. He found a few bikes but he is not sure which he should even look at. these are some of his top choices.

2001 yz 250: excellent condition, adult owned, never raced, new brakes front & rear, new graphics, ready to ride, $1850

2002 kx250:excellent cond, new top end, clutch, flywheel weight, tires, chain sprockets, Renthal bars, Acerbis hand guards, vet owned, well maintained, $2250

2000 rm250: EC, lots of extras, trades considered, $2000 B/O

2004 kx125:

mint, Wiesco top end, Renthal sprockets & chain, Tag bars, well maint, $2400

2003 yz250: EC, adult riden, $2500

I know there is only 1 125 on the list but that is because there are not many around us right now in our year and price range. Should he wait for another 125 or do any of these bikes seem like a good deal?

Also cant he just make a 250 a little easier to ride with a fly wheel weight?? thanks for any advice.

The first two seem to offer the most, and are at a fairly reasonable price. But, with his height, and low weight, a 250 might be a bit much. I weigh in at 175, about 180 with gear, and my 250 hauls ass with me on it! That being said, my 125 will move me just fine as well. As for the flywheel weight, I've never ridden a bike with one, but the word is it makes the powerband much more mellow, and gives the bike more torque. It will also reduce stalling.

ya i was thinking the first two are nice also because the yz is pretty cheap and the kx has alot of extra stuff. How does the 04 kx125 sound?

when i was 15 i went straight from a kx80 to a kx 250! (never even rode a 125!!) i was about the same height as your friend, but maybe just a little lighter! (around 120#'s) i remember snappin' the throttle open and the back of the bike just kickin' out to one side. it acted like there was no one on it! this only lasted a few rides until i got used to the bike and aquired the proper throttle control. shortly after i rode a friends 125 and it felt like a Full-sized 80 to me!!

if he wants it to last him awhile then a 250 might be the right choice. :thumbsup:

oh, and as mentioned the 1st two bikes you posted seem like good deals! :ride:

he should definatley get a 125. a 250 is going to be too much for him i think. he doesnt need it if this is going to his first real bike. i moved from a ttr125 to a yz125 and the difference is nuts. my yz125 is plenty of bike for me and i got 3 in and about 20lbs on ur boy. tell him to get a 125, he will love it. a 250 is going to be difficult for him to learn on, even if he can ride ur 220.

How much experience does he have on full size bikes? From your post, it doesn't sound like a whole lot. I'd consider the 02 KX 250 because of the new top end and flywheel weight (yes, it will smooth out the power, but not take any away) and the 04 KX 125 because of the new top end. I think that of the bikes listed, because of his size and weight, he should go with the KX 125. The 250 might be too much for him and is built for the heavier riders. The 125 suspension is usually valved for the smaller, lighter rider (if it's not revalved).

yes , i must admit , after i packed on some pounds (now 170) a 250 is easier to control and ride hard! now i feel like i the bike does what i want it to, instead of me doing what the bike says to do! :thumbsup::ride:

the '04 kx 125 sounds good for the year and price, but i know used 125's are getting cheaper and cheaper so you might find a deal on a 2000 and newer bike for under 2 grand!! :applause::applause::applause:

everyone of those bikes sound good, but for trail riding I don't recomend the 125. The 2001 YZ250 is probally not much different than my 2000 YZ250, which handles great in almost any situation. Great pull from down low all the way to the top. Plus if he ever decides to get into MX, he is already set to go.

My buddy is still thinking about getting a 250, it is his first "real" bike. He is looking at 125's and 250's. He is pretty set on spending no more than $2000 on a bike and he wants it too last him a while. He is looking for a bike from 2000-2003. These are the years in his price range. He himself is 5'5 and 130 pounds. He likes the power on my kdx220 which is fairly modded with a VF2 reed cage, new top end, and an fmf pipe and silencer. These are pretty much the only engine mods besides opening the air box a bit more. So basically he is not sure if a 250 would be much more power than that. Basically he will be racing in our trails against me and my other friend on his 400ex. My bike is pretty quick and i have the suspension set up with kx forks so my buddy is trying to get a bike that will work well for him. As far as our trails there is a bit of mud, alot of straights a touch of sand, a few hills, 2 steep hills a good amout of turns and whoops. The track is a single track and we do time trials. It is just short of a 1 mile woods track. he has found a few bikes he likes but he really wants a yamaha but is open to anything. He found a few bikes but he is not sure which he should even look at. these are some of his top choices.

2001 yz 250: excellent condition, adult owned, never raced, new brakes front & rear, new graphics, ready to ride, $1850

2002 kx250:excellent cond, new top end, clutch, flywheel weight, tires, chain sprockets, Renthal bars, Acerbis hand guards, vet owned, well maintained, $2250

2000 rm250: EC, lots of extras, trades considered, $2000 B/O

2004 kx125:

mint, Wiesco top end, Renthal sprockets & chain, Tag bars, well maint, $2400

2003 yz250: EC, adult riden, $2500

I know there is only 1 125 on the list but that is because there are not many around us right now in our year and price range. Should he wait for another 125 or do any of these bikes seem like a good deal?

Also cant he just make a 250 a little easier to ride with a fly wheel weight?? thanks for any advice.

Gosh, I dunno know. Im gonna say 250. I had several bikes before I settled in and each time I wish I would have just got the larer bike right off. Thats tough. But if he cant reach the ground on the bike, he might have to go smaller.