Sign in to follow this  

Dual sporting a EXC ????

Found out talking to a local dealer that DS'ing a KTM in PA is a piece of cake since KTM does not mark the certificate or origin 'Off Road Only'

They will issue a state registration with the purchase and once a DS kit and DOT tires are installed its only a inspection away.

This brings me to the question.....

Given teh KTM DS bikes due for 07, if you had the choice of a 07 450 DS EXC-G or a DS'ed 06 450 EXC which way would you go????

AND are the DS kits good quality ??

The price I've been quoted for the 07 DS is $7,700

Can get a 06 for around $6,300

What would you do in this situation?

Found out talking to a local dealer that DS'ing a KTM in PA is a piece of cake since KTM does not mark the certificate or origin 'Off Road Only'

They will issue a state registration with the purchase and once a DS kit and DOT tires are installed its only a inspection away.

This brings me to the question.....

Given teh KTM DS bikes due for 07, if you had the choice of a 07 450 DS EXC-G or a DS'ed 06 450 EXC which way would you go????

AND are the DS kits good quality ??

The price I've been quoted for the 07 DS is $7,700

Can get a 06 for around $6,300

What would you do in this situation?

The Trick Dual Sport Kit is $480 so add that into the price of the 2006. Also, good DOT tires will run you about $150. I'd say you're getting close enough to the price of a 2007. If PA DMV ever cracks down and starts VIN number checking and EPA sticker BS, you might regret having the 2006. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Good advice nocturnal. I would be skeptical of most of the State regs for getting a plate anymore. It is safest to get the 2007 since it's imported as a dual sport. If you're within $500 after you make the mods on a 2006 go for the 2007.

Thinking of performance, I don't think anyone has tested the factory DS yet but it appears to be very much like the 06 EXC.

Does that seem right.

I would bet that the '07 EXC's have been power restricted to some extent, i.e. exhaust choked down to 82 db, plus airbox and throttle restrictions, etc. These restraints should easily reversible for 'offroad' use.

If the plate is important to you and not just it would be nice to have get the 07. That way there is no way the goverment can take the plate back if they start cracking down on the dual sport issue.