Sign in to follow this  

top chain roller

Following a harsh trail ride, I noticed that my top chain roller was missing and that an half inch hole is now in its place. Do any of you believe this will weaken the frame?

:thumbsup:

Mine broke off after some jumping with my friend also on a Dr. That was last year and havent had any problems with it yet. Should not really have that big of an impact on the frame overall IMO.

Mine did the same, though the roller was still hanging on by a thread. I pulled it away before it detached itself. At some stage I'll get it rewelded.

I think its purpose is twofold: a) to maintain chain tension at extremes of wheel travel and :thumbsup: to stop the chain chewing the frame cross bar near the swing arm mount.

I haven't noticed any chain damage to the frame in the last 5000km (moderate road use and some timid off road use) so I'm not too worried.

That happened on my '00 DR650 as well. This is fairly common problem. I would recommend against welding the hole back up unless you have someone who really knows what they are doing because the hole is pretty large in relation to the thickness of the frame, plus, the access isn't real easy without some disassembly. If you want to plug it, put some steel wool in the hole and cover it and the hole with JB Weld. The steel wool just provides a base so you don't have to totally fill that part of the frame to seal the hole. Or, do nothing, it won't hurt anything. There are a lot of DR650s around the world with that same hole. There is a thread about this problem on the Horizons Unlimited Suzuki section.

Thanks everyone. I also noticed a small pinhole at the bottom of the frame, so I guess water accumulation in the tubing won't be an issue.