Sign in to follow this  

YZ/WR Clutch component questions

I was looking at the parts listing for the clutch. I see where there is a different fiber plates for the inner + outer plates than for the inner plates. Also, the very inside steel is a different number than the other steels

Does someone know what the reason(s) for this specific component arrangement would be?

Also, I have some nasty clutch dragging problems w/ the 05 WR250. The following thread seems to sum it up pretty good with Obermeyer's reply. Looks like some new steelies are in my near future. (Thanks to Obermeyer for the good info!!)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385362&page=2&pp=10&highlight=yz250f+clutch

The Yamahas have a circular, conical spring that is roughly the same diameter as the ID (Inside Diameter) of a fiber clutch plate. It is used between the back of the clutch basket and the first aluminum plate. This implies that the fiber plate that is closest to the back of the basket has a bigger ID than the rest of the fiber plates so that that circular, conical spring can sit in there. This explaination would make more sense if you had the clutch apart or were looking at an exploded view.

I've got a Rekluse on my bike and had read that it is better to use CR125 plates to get the good clutch release that is so important for auto-clutch guys. I did what everybody else does when they put in the CR plates, I discarded the conical spring and used a set of fiber plates that were all the same.