Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal Question

My friend is looking at a little 2 stroke 91 KDX 200 with a baja conversion kit. The registration expired in 2000. If he buys it will he be able to get it re-registered no problem? Or does it lose its grandfathered status because of the lapse in the registration? Thanks in advance.

wired

If it has already been converted and issued a plate he should not have a problem with it. Its just getting the plate now that is the problem.

I did my YZ with no problem. Mine was Non-oped though. At first they didnt know it was non-oped and said they could do it, I would just have to pay a ton of fees, but then once I explained the non-op thing it wasn't as bad.

My experience is that once the plate expires it is gone forever, and you are back to a green sticker! No plate ever again! You have to non-op the street reg or it goes away, so most folks go for the non-op. Too bad, this is the demise of many plated dual sport bikes.

Check with the local DMV, sometimes they don't know the rules and you can slide a renewal by!

They took the plate from my friend's XR 250L even though it was a factory street registered machine!

I was issued a plate for my '93 XR in 1997, I did a Duel-Registration on it.

I had both a green sticker and a plate with two pink slips?

I moved to Nevada for 2+ years (no off-road stickers in NV.) I did not transfer title, and did not do a non-op with Ca.

When I returned to Ca and wanted to ride it, I only paid the penalties and late fee's for the plate. They gave me a new tag for my old plate and it was back on the road that day. :thumbsup:

Probably will have to pay a bunch of fees and still have the plate. The solution to the problem may be to have the seller take care of the issue before your friend buys the bike.