Sign in to follow this  

what makes the Ranger "better" to lift?

i hear it non-stop, "don't get a S10, get a Ranger, they're better to lift".

what makes them easier/better to lift?

are they as relieable as the old tried and true 4.3?

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

The newer Rangers vs S10's lifting is the same BS, both IFS susp. Older Rangers with the TTB were a nightmare lifted, as they were usually unalignable and would never track right and wear tires unevenly.

The newer Rangers vs S10's lifting is the same BS, both IFS susp. Older Rangers with the TTB were a nightmare lifted, as they were usually unalignable and would never track right and wear tires unevenly.

ok, thanks chicken :thumbsup:

why is it BS? pain in the ass to do?

Up until 1997 all 2wd Rangers had "Twin I Beam" front suspension. This a very rugged system, and brings a lot of wheel travel for a lot less money then a traditional upper/lower "A" arm suspension system.

Most of the later Rangers also had the 8.8" rear end(w/ a V-6) which is pretty tough too.

There are some great suspension kit for those trucks, but again most are geared towards wheel travel, not just lift.

i hear it non-stop, "don't get a S10, get a Ranger, they're better to lift".

what makes them easier/better to lift?

are they as relieable as the old tried and true 4.3?

In the case of the S10, the tranny is weak, the rear diff is weak, and depending on the year, the motor is questionable. When we ride at the sand dunes broken down S10's are usually 2-3 per weekend and it's always the tranny or the rear end. Not that the Ranger's are bulletproof, they're just not as bad.

Rangers die out much quicker

Chevy all the way bro :thumbsup:

The 2.9 never died. Trust me I tryed to kill my Ranger and the damn thing never died :ride:. Plus if you get a Chevy you will always be replacing a tail light or head light. for some reason they always burn out.

Plus if you get a Chevy you will always be replacing a tail light or head light. for some reason they always burn out.

And this has what to do with lifting?

And this has what to do with lifting?

Nothing but I just wounder why they do it. But anyways I don't know how much a lift for an S10 is but for a Ranger it is threw the roof. I went and priced out a 4'' suspension lift for mine and it was $1800. So I had to settle for a 3'' body. Still looked good and I could fit bigger tires under it.

As was said, neither of them is any easier to lift than the other, but the Ranger does have a stronger rear end, tranny and unless you are talking an S-10 with a 4.3L, better engines too.

If I were going to lift any compact truck, Id go find an old solid front axle, leaf spring Toyota pickup. Those are easy to lift because you dont have to deal with all the BS thats involved with lifting an IFS truck.

Nothing but I just wounder why they do it. But anyways I don't know how much a lift for an S10 is but for a Ranger it is threw the roof. I went and priced out a 4'' suspension lift for mine and it was $1800. So I had to settle for a 3'' body. Still looked good and I could fit bigger tires under it.

i'm thinking of doing the same, its pretty cheap for the spacers, but you have to extend to lines and everything. and the tires are expensive too, i'll have to stop by a dealer and price it out. i think a suspension lift is out of my price range, all i want to truck for is playing in some gravel pits, splashing puddles and going to school....also hauling my bike.

thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

This whole "lift" thing blows me away!...

This is a dirt bike forum and suspension work is king, but when it comes to trucks so many guys want the dumbo truck "look" instead of getting the suspension to work!

Can you imagine what a dirt bike would look like if lift was all you cared about...You can lift a Ranger or S-10 about 3" for about the same scratch, but the I Beam Ranger will blow the S-10 away for about the same amout invested.

By the way, you guys that are so cheap you think lifting a truck is cool using a body lift, what about the big tires you want to run? Are you going to spend the money for a gear change also? :thumbsup:

Up until 1997 all 2wd Rangers had "Twin I Beam" front suspension. This a very rugged system, and brings a lot of wheel travel for a lot less money then a traditional upper/lower "A" arm suspension system.
But the drawback is the wheels travel up and down in an "arc" so the camber is zero in one spot only and it looks goofy articulating. As for the 4WD back then, the Fords used a straight axle with a hinge, cheap low cost and just that, cheap.

As for the 4WD back then, the Fords used a straight axle with a hinge, cheap low cost and just that, cheap.

No, they used a "Twin Traction Beam" system consisting of a modified twin I beam system with hollow beams to accept an axleshaft, and one side had a diff(Dana 35?)

It was/is kind of funky...

The main drawback to Fords I beam is the camber AND castor change rates, which results in less then ideal handling, but they are still the most suspension you can get for the money.

i'm thinking of doing the same, its pretty cheap for the spacers, but you have to extend to lines and everything. and the tires are expensive too, i'll have to stop by a dealer and price it out. i think a suspension lift is out of my price range, all i want to truck for is playing in some gravel pits, splashing puddles and going to school....also hauling my bike.

thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

If you do a 4'' body lift you have to extend every thing. A 3 inch you don't have to extend anything.

No, they used a "Twin Traction Beam" system consisting of a modified twin I beam system with hollow beams to accept an axleshaft, and one side had a diff(Dana 35?)

It was/is kind of funky...

The main drawback to Fords I beam is the camber AND castor change rates, which results in less then ideal handling, but they are still the most suspension you can get for the money.

For off road use, the TTB was a sturdy system, as it would flex, not crack.

And, thats all that TTB is, a straight axle, cut in half, and attached to the frame on a hinge.

For on road use, it was a miserable design. Trust me, it was junk. Don't believe me? The TTB system was plaugued with complaints of harsh ride, bump steer, tire wear, wierd pulls that appearred and disappeared without warning, and just general poor design that went on for too long.

If you REALLY want to see the result of hallucinagenic drugs by engineers, take a look see under an early 90's F250, TTB and leafs :thumbsup: how much dope do you have to injest to make yourself believe that TTB and leafs is a good suspension design?