Sign in to follow this  

Ramp Building

Does anybody have or know of anywhere i can get plans for building a ramp outa wood or something?

Mine's a bit cave man but here goes. Get yourself a treated 2x6 or 2x8, 8' long. Measure the length of your pickup bed with the tailgate up & cut the board 3" shorter than your measurement. Get a 2" wide, 1/4" thick 12" long piece of strap iron or aluminum & cut it in half for 2 6" pieces. Bend each piece at the center at about a 5 degree angle in a vise or over a suitable brick or rock. Drill 2 3/8" holes in one end of each piece, 1 about 1/2" from the end & the other about 2.5" from the end. Place the iron pieces on one end of the board along each side so the bends are flush with the end of the board & drill through the board with the 3/8" drill using the holes drilled in the strap iron for guides. Turn the board over & countesink holes on the back side with a 1" spade bit about 1/4" deep to countersink the washers/nuts so they don't protrude (you can skip this step if you're not worried about scratching your bed or just lay the ramp top side down). Then get 4 3/8" x 2" carriage bolts, washers & nuts (nyloc nuts are best) & mount the strap iron angles to the board. Grind off or cut the protruding bolts flush with the nuts. Place your new loading ramp on your tailgate & tweak the angles of the strap iron so that the protruding ends are flush with your tailgate. Stand back & enjoy the spectacle of your new loading ramp. If you're worried about scratching your tailgate with the strap iron, smooth the edges with a grinder or file & cover them with lengths of bicycle inner tube or some such that will fit tightly. Another nice feature is that nobody seems interested in stealing this type of ramp. You can leave it in your truck without worry. I know lots of guys who've had fancy aluminum ones "borrowed" without ever seeing them again. I've had my "board" for many years without problems. You can even cut shallow grooves in the board with a circular saw to provide a bit of traction.

Yea thanks alot guys...i was kinda lookin for free ramp plans haha...and sorry that i wasnt specific but yea i want to build a ramp jump for my dirtbike outa wood.

Be a redneck and get a old door and 4 concrete blocks. Instant 1 1/2 ft ramp...

Or Dirt is always an option