Sign in to follow this  

Which bike for racing off road?

I have a 1994 KX125 and I seem to be very good at off road riding. I want to race. But I don't know if I can race with my KX125. Can I? If not, I can get any bike I want at the end of the school year. Maybe a TC250? Or maybe a KTM? Where is a good place to race? I live in High Desert (Apple Valley, Barstow, Victorville, Hesparia) Cali.

Thanks for any further help.

the 2 stroke? I heard alot about that bike, heard it was great. Does the displacement matter....I would be recing against 400's and other 200 strokes right?

more than likely you would be racing other 200cc and smaller 2strokes, in the 200A,B,or C class. The KTM200 is awesome...but I say to just take good care of your bike, put some handguards on it and start racing now. There's plenty of people that race 125's, some that are as old as yours if not older. That would be a good bike to start racing on IMO.

the 2 stroke? I heard alot about that bike, heard it was great. Does the displacement matter....I would be recing against 400's and other 200 strokes right?

Probably

There's a coupleKTM 2strokes the only difference is really in the transmission.

whats the difference between the XC200 and the XC200W? I think those are the models....anyways I have heard the thing has massive amounts of horse power....or something like that....or was it torque? I don't remember, but from the article in Dirt Rider it sounded like a pretty solid bike. And from a very critical magazine such as Dirt Rider (Refering to the TT DRZ475 incident), it must be pretty good. The only thing I am worried about is weight, I mean how much does the XC200/XC200W weigh?

Thanks for any further help

KDXexpert,

Ok sounds good, I'll start off C class and if I get really into it I'll get the XC200 and maybe get into B class if I'm good enough. I would like to have a four stroke though. I seem to ride better on four strokes. And I mean, way better. I can ride trails faster on my TTR125 than I can my KX125. And I don't just mean tight technical stuff either. I usually am 5th gear pinned on the little thing...lol..anyways maybe a CRF250X or a WR250F?

Baron,

is that a CR500? If it is...I would rip my arms off...trying to ride it like I do my KX125....lol

Baron,

is that a CR500? If it is...I would rip my arms off...trying to ride it like I do my KX125....lol

Yeah, I added a link.

You can handle it. Just add a seat belt and you're all good. :thumbsup:

A 125 is fine for racing in the conditions that you speak of. My mechanic's oldest son used to race district 38 races in the the desert. He was riding pro on a 125. I just came off of a 450 that I bought for woods riding. After reliability problems, I bought another 2 stroke. Last Friday I bought a 2006 YZ 250. This was far and away the best decision that I could have made. This bike RIPS!! It has the chasis feel and weight of a 125 with the torque of a bigger bike. I would suggest that you race your 125 to see if this kind of racing is what you like. Then once you get your feet wet, get a 250 two stroke.

My boyfriend raced a KX125 offroad for years and won against much bigger bikes, he even took it to Europe for an ISDE on the Jr Trophy Team. There is nothing about that bike that says you can't ride it offroad and win, it just takes a little more skill to make it go as fast as the bigger bikes.

allright cool, can't wait to race it.

I plan on racing Baja 500 maybe next year... Do you think I can race it with a KX250F? I have ridden half the course before on my KX125, and it didn't seem to bad. Just had really bad arm pump. Anyways I'll give you a status report on my off road journeys. I'm going riding saturday where there are very technical trails. By the way anybody know of any off road races by where I live? (Barstow, Apple Valley, Victor Ville, Hesparia.)

Thanks for any help.

Abandoned - I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit....

You live in the desert racing capital but you're not sure where there are races. There are desert races almost every weekend within a couple hours (or less) drive.

You want to race the Baja 500 but you got arm pump? There is no way you should be getting arm pump riding a 125 in Baja. If you move to a bigger bike what's gonna happen?

Are you preparred to spend $5000-$7000 on a bike? Do you NEED to spend $$ on a bike? KEEP your KX 125, it's a perfectly capable bike for racing in the desert. A 125 2T with the right rider could be top few overall in your local desert races.

You find it more difficult to ride the 125? Good, stay on it and learn how to ride it. Learning to ride a 125 2T will make you a better rider in the long run.

Sure you can race a KXF250 but would that make the most sense for the position you're in right now?

Stick with what you have for another year. Do some local events. Stay away from the TTR and learn to ride the KX. Save your money.