Sign in to follow this  

Clutch pull - shut off problem.

Hmmm.. I had a very weird experience this passed Sunday. Let me note I haven't ridden my bike for a long time. My estimate is three to three and half months. Anyways. I had hell getting the bike to start and had to keep revving it to keep the engine alive. Okay. so Off i go and start shifting normally. Now when i want to downshift and I pull the clutch in completely the bike shuts off. It happened everytime i did it. I have no Idea why..... Anyone have any ideas?

It's been a while since i've been away from this forum. ANd Now i've decided to come back.

Could be a lot of things - but possibly a clogged up pilot jet. That would make it want to die at lower RPMs and when you pull in the clutch you're shutting off the throttle most times so it'd want to use the pilot jet which if it's not flowing would make it die.

Try pulling it out and seeing if it's clogged. It's the small one next to the mainjet right in the middle. You'll have to take the bottom off the carb to get to it.

Mike

Could be a lot of things - but possibly a clogged up pilot jet. That would make it want to die at lower RPMs and when you pull in the clutch you're shutting off the throttle most times so it'd want to use the pilot jet which if it's not flowing would make it die.

Try pulling it out and seeing if it's clogged. It's the small one next to the mainjet right in the middle. You'll have to take the bottom off the carb to get to it.

Mike

Could it possibly be clogged because of the gas sitting in the carb for so long?

Could it possibly be clogged because of the gas sitting in the carb for so long?

The gas could gum up yes.

Are you starting it with the clutch pulled in?

If it will idle in neutral I doubt its the carb though. Don't forget about the small switch in the clutch lever

No. I am not starting it with the clutch pulled in. Iam starting the bike in nuetral. Also, the bike doesn't idle without revving the bike. It cuts off.

And what small switch in the clutch lever? Theres no hot-start on these bikes, if thats what your referring to.

it's only the 230 or the e-start 150's that have the switches in the clutch perch.

take your carb apart and give it a good cleaning. the gas that has been sitting in there for so long has gummed up and clogged the jets.

I didn't look at the year he had listed....

It is probably junk in the pilot jet

pull the pilot and clean out the carb

It'll be fine

i had the exact same problem with my 150f and i found out it was becuz i was running the bike too hot becuz it was overly hot outside, but like everyone else has said its prolly just the pilot jet, it isnt hard to get to take the float bowl off and its the small one beside the main

thats exactly how my 230 was. rejetted it and its much better. i would pull in the clutch and it would cut out. just a thought