Sign in to follow this  

Another Tire Question

When I bought my 2000 DR650, it had a small bit of wear left on the original trailwings (only had 3000 miles on the bike). The off-roading was not good with these tires, but then again, I was pretty inexperienced with this size bike at first and didn't really know my limits on the DR...so I kind of wonder if my off road struggles were mostly just my lack of skill and lack of comfort or experience with this bike. I also hit some pretty aggressive trails right after purchasing the bike. I replaced the trailwings after about a month and a half with Pirelli MT21's. These tires work well off road, but they have worn quickly on the road, are loud, and have stability problems at freeway speeds (at least I think it's the tires...along with the wheels out of balance causing the high speed wobble).

As much as I would like to keep knobbies on the bike for my weekend adventures, the reality of my riding is that I am on the street 6 days a week, with frequent freeway riding (short stretches of freeway thankfully). I would really like to have a better road tire on my bike and simply tone down my off-roading a bit to something the new tires can handle better. I am thinking about going back to the trailwings, but maybe someone has good experience with other 80-20 tires out there?

I would like a smoother, quieter, more balance-able dual sport tire, with basic dirt road capabilities. I am not sure where the best place to buy tires is, but online stores seem to have the best prices.

Thanks for any advice.

buddy of mine has a set of duro medians on his klr 650 and likes them. besides they are pretty inexpensive. the president of dixie dual sport uses them on his dr650.

i've tried kenda 270s, mt-21s, dunlop 606s, irc gp-1s and the original TWs on my 2000 dr650 that has 15k miles on it now.

give the duros a shot. there next on my list to try.

happy hunting.

steve

For your stated use, I've found the IRC GP110 tires are about the best available.

Thanks for the recommendations. I did a search for both tire brands, and I found an online retailer, www.motorcycledreamshop.com, that carries both tires. However, I am slightly confused on tire size and want to make sure I order the proper size. The IRC tires come in inches and the Duro tires come in metric sizes. If I decide on the IRC tires, will the 3.00S-21 size work for my front wheel and will the 4.60S-17 work for the rear wheel?

On the Duro tires, they have an exact match for the front wheel of 90/90-21, but for the rear wheel they only have one 17 size of 130/80S-17. Will that size work for my rear wheel?

Thanks again,

The other thought is do what I did and buy a second set of wheels. Street tires on one and MT21's on the other. Takes about 15 minutes tops to swap them once you've done it a few times.

You will often see the Trailwings lovingly reffered to as "Deathwings" due to their lack of ability in the dirt.

Oh, and a lot of folks seem to like Avon Distanzias as a good 80-20 to 70-30 tire provided your off roading doesn't take you through deeper sand or mud.

I am running a Maxxis Traxer 130/80/17 in the rear and it is great on road, would handle dirt roads but not too much more(sand mud etc.) It was really cheap also, around 50$ Canadian. Don't know if they make a front but I would like to have it if they do.