Sign in to follow this  

SM mods in Boston area

'06 DRZ400SM

I'd like to begin to do some of the mods Ive seen discussed here on the bike. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shop or mechanic in the New England area (I'm in Boston but can travel a bit) who is somewhat or highly experienced in this area.

Thanks for any help.

'06 DRZ400SM

I'd like to begin to do some of the mods Ive seen discussed here on the bike. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shop or mechanic in the New England area (I'm in Boston but can travel a bit) who is somewhat or highly experienced in this area.

Thanks for any help.

Specifically,what are you looking to do?

Specifically,what are you looking to do?

I plan to run the bike on the track, so Id like to set it up best for that purpose. I plan to start with the 3x3, jetting and yosh system - I think. I really don't know much about carbs, FCR's or the like nor am I mechanically inclined so I wanted to work with a shop or perhaps person who is and is trustworthy, if that exists :thumbsup:

There aren't any shops inside the 128 with a good reputation. Well, Riverside Kawi is so-so. GBM is to be avoided like the plague for service, unless you've got an expensive Beemer, in which case they're pretty attentive. The best place around here is Bikeworx in Maynard. Very competent service dept, I've heard.

http://www.bikeworx.com/

Good luck.

EDIT: if you're looking for inspiration, though, GBM did have a 400SM last time I wandered through.

There aren't any shops inside the 128 with a good reputation. Well, Riverside Kawi is so-so. GBM is to be avoided like the plague for service, unless you've got an expensive Beemer, in which case they're pretty attentive. The best place around here is Bikeworx in Maynard. Very competent service dept, I've heard.

http://www.bikeworx.com/

Good luck.

EDIT: if you're looking for inspiration, though, GBM did have a 400SM last time I wandered through.

Im all set with the bike, actually bought it from GBM as they gave me the best price, which was a surprise. It doesnt have to be within 128, Im looking for someone who will do a good job.

I hate to say this but the only way to really know it was done right is to do it yourself. With the money you save on oil changes alone you can buy the manual and tools necessary to work on this bike.

I hate to say this but the only way to really know it was done right is to do it yourself. With the money you save on oil changes alone you can buy the manual and tools necessary to work on this bike.

Really not an option for me. We all have our comfort zones and this type of stuff isnt even close to mine. Money and tools have nothing to do with it in this case.

Really not an option for me. We all have our comfort zones and this type of stuff isnt even close to mine. Money and tools have nothing to do with it in this case.

I'm glad to see you are honest about it. When you are ready to learn try to find a rider in your area to help you out, doesn't need to be a drz rider, just someone who knows what they are doing.

Or you'd be surprized at what we've been able to help others out with on this forum, up to and including complete engine rebuilds.

Im all set with the bike, actually bought it from GBM as they gave me the best price, which was a surprise. It doesnt have to be within 128, Im looking for someone who will do a good job.

I meant that Bikeworx does a good job on service. I do most of the work on my bike, but I have a couple friends who swear by them.

Well...I live in Norton and can be bought off rather easily to help out if you want to bring the bike by. I only require some food for the grill and some adult beverages for when we're done riding :thumbsup:

I have an 05 with exhaust/jet/air box/mcct/brake lines/tire changes/suspension work/wiring work/tail light/bars/clamps/steering damper/case covers. GMD Computrack did my suspension, but I've done everything else with a bit of patience and some help from the folks on here. I haven't gotten into the FCR carb yet, but I can definately help you with the stock one. I've also run the bike up at Loudon and it's damn fun :ride:

Shoot me a pm if you're interested and we'll work something out. I work in the city, so if you want to meet up for lunch we can also figure something out that way.

WRT shops...I've also heard good things about bikeworx. I bought mine from GBM, but haven't taken it back. I've used MTR Racing in Woonsocket and have had pretty good results from their service dept with my ZRX.

Brian