Sign in to follow this  

clutch problem?

so i rode the bike today. it seemed like the clutch was slipping really bad. i would be full throttle and it would seem like the clutch was pulled in a little bit. the track was super hardpacked and dry (if that is important). could there be a problem with the clutch basket or inner hub? BTW the springs and plates are brand new. thanks

Do you have it adjusted properly? You need to have some freeplay in the lever.

Are you sure it wasn't just the tire breaking loose on the hard, dry track?

If it was the clutch, just put a spark plug washer under each clutch spring to increase the pressure on the plates and you'll be amazed at how well it locks up.

yea its adjusted properly.

i thought it might have been breaking loose on the hardpack too. i am thinking about brining the bike out tonight and seeing how it is on a watered/groomed track.

yea its adjusted properly.

i thought it might have been breaking loose on the hardpack too. i am thinking about brining the bike out tonight and seeing how it is on a watered/groomed track.

I was having issues and thought it was just my tire breaking loose, but realized that it was my clutch after riding a sticky track. My friend had the same issues on his 06. After he bought a complete Hinson clutch it still did the same thing. We stuck some spark plug washers in and it was fixed.

i told my dad that we will just put the washers under there and he is like "no thats just bypassing the problem" so now he wants me to buy a basket and inner hub. :thumbsup:

i told my dad that we will just put the washers under there and he is like "no thats just bypassing the problem" so now he wants me to buy a basket and inner hub. :thumbsup:

The problem is that there isn't enough spring pressure to keep the clutch locked up. The basket and hub will do nothing to increase the pressure on the plates. Trust me, my friend tried the exact same thing and it did nothing to increase clutch lock up, it can't.

i will go try the washer thing right now and see if it helps

k i put on the washers and it seemed to fix the problem. do you think i would be safe to ride for 3 or 4 hours tonight?

k i put on the washers and it seemed to fix the problem. do you think i would be safe to ride for 3 or 4 hours tonight?

I've been running washers on my CRF for months. They will be fine for as long as you need them to be. It's a perfectly legitimate fix.

I had to do the same thing on a sport bike once. Makes a huge difference. Perfectly safe too.

ben

how many are you guys running? i only put one on there but im thinking 2 might be better

how many are you guys running? i only put one on there but im thinking 2 might be better

One washer on each spring is plenty. I tried 1on threesprings and 2 on the other three and it made the clutch overly stiff.

ok. i will bring extra washers to the track tonight just incase 1 isnt enough. thanks guys