Argh!! Tips on removing bolts

Anyone have any tips on the easiest way of removing bolts "sans la tête" ?

To be specific, I was tightening the bolt in the oil pressure check hole on my

'06 YZ250F ( yes I was using a torque wrench) when ? the head sheered

off. Is drilling and tapping the ONLY way ?

Thanks

If the shank of the bolt is sticking up a bit, you can possibly use vise grips to pull it out, but if it's sheared off even with the case, you will have to drill. One option is to buy drills that actually drill counter clockwise so when you drill the bolt, it could loosen up and back out the bolt. I've had great luck with that style of drill bit. You have to have a reversible drill to make those drill bits work. Or do it the conventional way....drill with a conventional bit, tap, and install a heli-coil or time sert.

If those techniques don't work, then first be sure the broken piece is flat, if not file it flat, or use a die grinder and make it flat. Take a center punch and center punch it in center of bolt. Buy a cobalt drill bit (hardened to drill into bolts) the size you need. Drill hole in bolt. Buy a good quality easy out and extract your bolt. Don't break the easy out !!! or your SOL.

Good Luck! ?

i actually broke the tip off of my EZ out once and it worked better haha but was your torque wrench a ft/lb or inch? i know my ft/lb one isnt sensitive enough for the little stuff and its supposed to be a good one. i use the feel method and i never get leaks or loose bolts ever. luck maybe? or talent lol

This technique has worked for me lots of times.

Get a sharp center punch or a chisel with a sharp corner. Place this sharp edge about 3/4 from the center of the bolt. Tap it with a hammer so you cause a slight divot in the bolt to get some purchase. Tilt the punch to about a 45 degree angle and tap it counterclockwise. Very rarely does this not work if the bolt is not rusted in.