Sign in to follow this  

GPS - How much internal memory is enough?

Thinking of picking up a GPS, and one of the things I was wondering is how much internal memory is enough to hold most routes for organized DS rides? Is 1MB enough for...say...LA-B-V?

Ask over on the d-37 website. the geeks will catch it sooner over there.

What unit are you looking at?

Make sure it's a Garmin because that's the format that D-37 supports. 1 MB is really not enough depending on what maps you want to load. Most of the current Garmin units range from 19mb (gps v) on up. I used a GPS V for quite a while and it proved adequate. I now have a 60C with 59 MB and that has proven to be more than enough for dual sport rides. The new Garmins (60CS, etc) use memory cards so there's virtually no limit. One other thing to look for is the number of tracks it will store. For most events the GPS will need to be able to store 10 tracks with 250 points each minimum. For that reason the Quest units will not work. Like Keithco said ask over at the D-37 site and you will get a wealth of info from the guys that actually layout the tracks for B to V.

Not sure how big an area you want to cover, but on my Magellan Meridian with topo USA, I think a map of 40 miles square (1600 sq mi) is about 5 mb. I'm not entirely sure, so I'll check when I get home.

What unit are you looking at?

Garmin Rino 110s. The position Reporting feature along with the two way radio and small size make them pretty attractive for the family, not only for dirt biking, but for hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. The fairly low price is a biggie as well, because I need to pick up four of them for those features to be worth while.

OK. A map of about 1/2 of California is 64 Mb with my Magellan Topo software. My GPS uses SD cards, so I can load maps on as many different cards as I like. I would guess that 1 Mb won't cover enough land for the LA-B-V D/S.

Hope that helps.

You can buy a 2gig Sd card. Why not get the biggest available? I like the 60csx. :thumbsup::ride:

Garmin Rino 110s. The position Reporting feature along with the two way radio and small size make them pretty attractive for the family, not only for dirt biking, but for hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. The fairly low price is a biggie as well, because I need to pick up four of them for those features to be worth while.

IMO you should reconsider that option. The 110 is not a mapping GPS. If you want a combo radio/gps you should at least consider the 120 at a minimum and one of the color units if your budget allows. Color makes a big difference in the readability of the screen. Also you can use the Rino with other FRS/GMRS radios. If all in your group don't need GPS you could save a bunch of cash by buying them FRS/GMRS radios and put the money into a 520 which is color and has 56 MB of memory. Or you could just buy a 60CX and forget the radios.

Thinking of picking up a GPS, and one of the things I was wondering is how much internal memory is enough to hold most routes for organized DS rides? Is 1MB enough for...say...LA-B-V?

Routes are tiny, waypoints are tiny. Normally you will hit the maximum allowed routes-waypoints before you actually max out the memory in the normal sense.

For example, the cheapest yellow etrex does something like 1 route and 100 waypoints or something.

Maps for GPS receivers (sold seperately, and expensively) use up much more space. My cheapo mapping Legend has 8mb and will hold 1000 waypoints and maps for the dallas area.

If you are a hacker type, you can use tools like cgpmapper + sendmap and cram about 2x the normal amount of streetmaps into the same space.... dunno how legal that is but I know (uh, I mean my FRIEND knows) that it works.

That way, everything in N Texas from FtWorth to Louisana fits in the same 8mb.

There are two issues that are getting confused a bit--the memory available for tracks and waypoints and the memory available for map data.

I have a GPS60CS. It has 56MB available for map datam, which is enough to load topo map data for a pretty good portion of CA (roughly from the Mexican border up to Bakersfield). You can choose among GPS units that have more or less memory built in. Better yet, buy one of the newer Garmin units like the GPS60CSx that have a memory card slot built in. Then you are sure to have more than sufficient memory for map data.

The GPS also stores a number of waypoints, routes and tracks (20 tracks of up to 500 points each). Most organized rides set up there GPS data so as not to exceed these parameters. The stuff the download you should fit on most of the current Garmin models but some older models may come up short. Also, a majority of dual sporter are running Garmin and the files provided by the clubs in So Cal tend to be designed for Garmin; the clubs usually try to support Magellan but at times there are problems. Best bet is stay with Garmin.

In addition, the GPS saves up an "active track log" as you travel (up to 10,000 track points). That is all more than sufficient for typical weekend riding. On the active track log, you can configure the GPS to save a point based on a time interval or a distance interval. The less detail you save, the more distance you get out of your 10,000 track points. I like to set mine to save a point every 10 seconds. That way the points are farther apart on straight roads, and closer together in the twisty sections where the speed drops. So at one point every 10 seconds, I can save up 27+ hours of riding in the active track log. You can look at the specs of the various units to see their capacity.