Sign in to follow this  

First DRZ dirt ride at Carnegie

Woohoo I enjoyed my first DRZ dirt ride at Carnegie (northern California) this weekend. Hey the suspension on the DRZ-S is pretty good! Especially compared to my previous dual-sports which were both 650s designed in the '80s heh.

I am kinda inexperienced at dirt riding, so I have much to learn. Carnegie is a quick teacher, wow talk about steep hills! I rode about 20 miles total and managed to stay upright though I had a couple of close calls. I was freakin' exhausted after 20 dirt miles too, like I said I'm inexperienced.

I just about crapped myself while descending one tricky trail that looked normal at first then went around a bend where it dropped away at a sharp angle, I was about ready to scream in fear about 3/4ths of the way down. :thumbsup:

But now I understand why the DRZ has become so popular, it's a great all-around bike. Sure it's heavy but it's more than good enough for the type of casual trail riding I'm after.

Fun times! Almost dropped it in the thick black 'marbles' lining this soft uphill trail, what a rush.

almost-droppie.jpg

Where abouts do you live in CA? I'm in San Jose and often ride at Hollister Hills or quickies at Metcalf.

I'm in the east bay over in Concord, I've never been to Hollister but I'll change that one of these days!

Dam, seeing that pic makes me wanta move. Offroad riding here sucks, all I ride is tracks on my CRF. If there was anything half as cool looking as that terrain here I would ride offroad everyday.

The DRZ is heavy, but the stock suspension is pretty darn good. When it has some time on it, changing out the stock fork oil for some 7.5 wt Silkolene and having the stock shock oil changed in favor of some similar quality fluid really makes a difference. The suspension units on the '02 and later S are the same as the E and are high quality.

My DRZ forks, with the 7.5 wt oil and .46 springs, are the favorite trail forks I have ever ridden behind. They insulate from rocks and slapper landings, yet are tough enough for taking whoops at aggressive speeds - much faster than any bike wearing a big tail light and a horn can be expected to go. I love to go around surprizing blue bikes with my DRZ :thumbsup:

Beautiful terrain out there. I do miss California deserts. I have a Scotts steering stabilizer on my DRZ. It came in handy in those wide open spaces. Another expensive but worth it mod :ride:

Hey! That looks like the training hills in the middle left...and in the far back...we call that "tree hill"...just because there is a lone tree at the top IF, AND IF, you make it. Haha...Im out in Hayward...I ride my KX500 out there...its like my backyard...A bit dusty though wasent it? :thumbsup: